Chapter Thirty

One day one of my chapters will say edited. Today is not that day.

not edited 

OMNISCIENT POV

Solana sat at the kitchen table, her fingers stained with the vibrant red residue from the Hot Cheetos. Her fingertips danced into the bag, retrieving one Cheeto at a time.

She dipped the Cheeto into a tub of cream cheese, an unusual pairing that somehow satisfied her taste buds. Her pregnant cravings get stranger by the day.

Her hair was slicked into a low bun with her edges neatly laid. She wore a loose-fitting off the shoulder blouse that draped over her baby bump, and her black leggings stretched comfortably over her rounded hips.

Her legs were still sore from her and Dario's sex a couple hours ago.

Her phone buzzed on the table. She wiped her fingers on a napkin and picked up the device, unlocking it to find a text from Gwen.

Gwen: Outside!!

Solana sighed , texting her back a simple okay.

She threw the empty bag of Cheetos in the trash and grabbed her phone and purse to head outside.

As she walked down the sidewalk to Gwen's car she couldn't shake the trepidation that clung to her. Maternity shopping had seemed like a joyous occasion, but the unexpected addition of Elena had cast a shadow over the plans. Solana hasn't seen Elena since the fight between them at Benji's mansion, when Elena found out about her pregnancy.

That was over a month ago.

Solana stepped out her apartment building, the cool evening air enveloping her like a gentle embrace.

Upon reaching the car, she saw Gwen behind the wheel, her warm brown eyes lighting up with a genuine smile. Gwen's dirty blonde hair tumbled over her shoulders, and her infectious energy seemed to lighten the atmosphere around her.

"Hey Sol." Gwen leaned across the seat, giving Solana a quick hug through the open car door.

Solana managed a small smile, "Hey Gwen." As she settled into the backseat of the car, she couldn't help but notice Elena sitting silently in the front seat.

She sat there, her dark eyes fixed on the passing scenery outside the car window.

Solana hesitated for a moment before deciding to break the silence. "Hi, Elena," her voice carrying a forced cheerfulness. "It's been a while."

Elena's gazed shifted towards Solana through the rear view mirror. Her features revealing of indifference and discomfort. She mumbled a half-hearted response.

"Hey," she mumbled.

Gwen shot Elena a look, a subtle nudge with her elbow.

Solana bit her tongue, choosing to focus on the positive side of the day. She wasn't going to let Elena's attitude ruin her day.

DARIO

The practice facility buzzed with thud of basketballs pounding against the hardwood floor.

The hum of conversations ceased, replaced by the anticipation of witnessing what they knew was about to unfold—a display of skill, precision and raw talent.

"Get ready for the show boys!" I announced, a grin playing on my lips as I tossed my practice jersey to the sideline. The court belonged to me, and I reveled in the spotlight. Confidence is in my blood, an arrogance that some mistook for pride.

But when you're as good as me, it's not arrogance; it's just a fact.

I could feel the eyes the eyes of my teammates and coaches on me, and I soaked that shit in. My fingers traced the lines of the basketball. The three point line awaited, and I embraced the challenge.