Chapter Twenty Eight

warning: not edited - long chapter ahead. 
a/n : I've had an obsession with Taco Bell's grilled cheese steak burrito for days.

SOLANA

The early morning light seeped through the curtains, casting a soft glow on the well-furnished apartment Dario had recently bought for me in Los Angeles. The apartment is only a few miles down the road from his mansion, he wanted me close while I temporarily stayed in Los Angeles.

I stirred in the comfort of my bed, tangled in the thin tendrils of sleep, resting my head against the purple silk pillowcase. The world outside seemed to hold its breath in the stillness of early morning, as though waiting for something to unfold. But then, as if from nowhere, it came—a piercing pain, sharp and unrelenting, sliced through my body, originating deep within my bones, specifically my spine.

"Fuck!" I gasped, my eyes springing open, my body immediately ensnared by the torment that consumed me. It began as a crushing weight in my lower back, just above my hips, before morphing into a fiery river of agony racing up my spine. I clutched at my belly, as the worse pain on earth erupted up my spine.

In my struggle, my bonnet slipped from my head, beads of sweat formed on my forehead, and my entire body trembled as I fought to endure the relentless throbbing in my back. It was as though my body had staged a mutiny, a rebellion against me, and I had no choice but to surrender to its anguish.

Minutes passed, stretching into an eternity as I lay there. "Oh my god!", my eyes moistened with tears.

In the room next door, I heard a door creak open and hurried footsteps approaching. It was Lupe, "Solana," she called out, her voice filled with concern and a hint of fear. "¿Qué te pasa? What's wrong?"

I tried to respond, but all that escaped my lips were guttural cries of pain. I clutched at the sheets beneath me, my knuckles white with the effort, and my breath came in ragged gasps.

Lupe rushed to my side, her face etched with worry as she knelt beside me. "Solana, breathe."

Through gritted teeth, I managed to whisper, "It's my spine, Lupe. Fuck... the pain in my spine is killing me."

She nodded, her eyes filled with determination as she reached for my phone on the dresser. Already knowing that my password was my birthday she unlocked the phone and called Dr. V.

Dario also bought an apartment out here for Dr. V. It was easy for Dr.V to leave Phoenix considering he isn't married, has no kids, he has no serious obligations. And Dario pays him triple his salary weekly.

"Dr. V!" Lupe spoke in panic, arms flaring. "Solana, she's in so much pain. Her spine is hurting her... I don't know what to do."

At this moment I wish I could cut my spine out of my back.

I could hear Dr. V's calm, reassuring voice on the other end of the line as he instructed Lupe. "Lupe, get her to the hospital. I'll meet you there."

Lupe hung up, her face determined as she helped me sit up. Every movement was excruciating, but I had no choice but to endure.

We managed to get me dressed, every article of clothing feeling like a straitjacket against my aching body. Each step was a huge effort, and I leaned heavily on Lupe as we made our way to the car.

"I'll call mom and dad once I get you to the hospital."

I nodded, with a slight grimace.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw Dario's car parked nearby. I had no idea he was stopping by. He usually don't come by the apartment unless he's picking me up to take me to my appointments.