Chapter Two

Don't be a silent reader
Vote and Comment Please 🫶🏾🤍

SALONA

The airport is really busy today, cars honking at each other, bad kids running around everywhere. It's busy. Jimea texted me that her flight had landed and she'd be out waiting for me at the arrivals area. My car is parked right outside the area.

"Kouzen!" I turn my head towards the sound of the voice. My eyes dart over towards a waving Jimea, rollling her green suitcase.
(Cousin!)

I smile at my cousin seeing her dressed in a long orange sundress that highlights her dark rich skin. Large silver hoop earrings decorate her ears alongside a marbled bracelet that's in the colors of the Haitian flag. Her hair is in six long black cornrows that reach the middle of her back. Clear lipgloss and mascara are the only makeup on her face, showcasing her clear skin. My cousin is beautiful.

I've always been confident in my looks, but looking at Jimea makes me want to copy and paste her face on mine. She has this beauty that is so radiating you can't help but question if she's real.

"Ou pral kenbe fikse oswa bay kouzen ou yon anbrase?" She laughs as she finally reaches me with her luggage.
(You gonna keep staring or give your cousin a hug?)

I chuckled at her words before pulling her into my arms. I take in her tropical scent wrapping my arms around her. Her skin is so smooth like a baby's butt.

We pull away from the hug and I help her put her suitcase in the trunk of my car. "My my your even more beautiful in person kouzen." She compliments me as we pile inside my car.

"Thank you, so are you." I say as I put on my seatbelt.

"We really are some fine ass cousins eh?" She quirks an eyebrow at me.

I open my mouth to respond when the sound of a car honking behind me halts my voice. I look to my side, shocked, seeing Jimea lean her head out the window and stick up her middle finger at the car. "O cry to ou manman!"
(Oh go cry to your mom!)

Embarrassed, I yank her by the arm into her seat. "Jimea!"

"What? He needs to be patient. Are Ameriken always this rude?"

"I got used to it years ago." I shrug, as I drive out of the airport towards the highway.

"Shouldn't have to get used to people disrespecting ou Salona. I hope you don't be letting people run over ou." She tells me.

"I don't Jimea but I also don't waste my energy on people who don't need it. I like to preserve my peace and I do that by not responding to everyone that has something to say. No response is the best response."

She looks at me like I'm stupid before rolling her eyes and typing away on her phone.

"So why I had to hear from your papa about you being in remission? Why didn't you tell me?" she asks.

I sigh. "Sorry, I should've told you."

She shakes her head. "Nah nah sorry no fix."

"It's not like I didn't want to tell you Jimea. I just didn't want to get your hopes up about it. I didn't even want to tell papa either or my parents. The only reason Lupe knows is because she was there in the room with me when the doctor delivered the news." I said.

"Why you not want people to know? This is good news kouzen!" She tells me.

"That's all everyone has been telling me lately is how good of news this is. And trust me I'm extremely grateful to be alive but I'm also really scared Jimea."