Chapter 3

I really haven't spoken much to Dakota since the incident nor did I care to. But he insisted I retrieve the belonging I supposedly left behind so now begins my dreadful journey to his office.

Dakota lifts his glasses off of his eyes as I walk in and he runs a hand through his slicked-back hair.

"It's about time," he says as I slowly walk toward his desk.

"I'm sure you know how busy I am considering all of the work is sent by you," I reply.

"There's that tone again, Mr. John," he says, folding his arms across his chest.

"My apologies," I say.

"Right," he says. "Well, you never retrieved the revised document of Marcy's proposal. She never got to see my comments before she presented."

"Is that why you've summoned me?" I ask.

He nods and taps the paper on his desk, sliding it forward. "Here it is."

"What use is it now?" I ask. "The presentation is over."

"Wouldn't you like an excuse to converse with her?" he says, slightly grinning.

I narrow my eyes. "What do you mean?"

He laughs. "Come on."

"What?"

"It's quite clear you're interested in her," he says. "Am I wrong?"

"Quite wrong," I say. "I don't have time for a relationship."

"Ah," he says. "That again."

I frown. "It's true."

"Don't you miss being in a relationship?" he asks.

"With you?" I ask. "Fuck no."

Dakota's grin widens.

"Excuse me," I say. "I didn't mean to curse."

"You hated it that much?" he says. "Ouch."

I sigh. "Can I leave now?"

"Are you going to give this back to Marcy?" he asks. "It could help her for her next presentation. Turner could use the suggestions, too. He's assisting her now, correct?"

"Yes."

"Great," he says. "Then take this and you may leave."

Quickly snatching the document off of his desk, I turn away and almost sprint out of the door. But Dakota halts me.

"One more thing."

I turn around, practically glaring at him.

"What?"

"I'm sorry for my actions last time," he says. "I shouldn't have kissed you without your consent."

I breathe out. "It's practically my fault for suggesting it in the first place. And it's over now. We can move on."

"Sure," he says. "Let's do that."

My lips form a straight line. "Bye."

I don't wait for a reply and speed back over to my desk. Peering over to Marcy, I notice her in deep conversation with Turner. I clear my throat before speaking to them.

"Hey."

They both turn and Turner lifts his head.

"What's up?" he asks.

I place the proposal on Marcy's desk.

"Dakota left some suggestions three months ago," I say. "I'm sorry I'm giving it back so late."