Chapter 10

It was discovered that the percentage of sales from our company dropped over the past month and with Dakota's stern and intense attitude, it was obvious we had to do something about it quickly.

He tasked me and Turner with submitting a proposal about how to raise the percentage again but sales weren't in my area of expertise. I'm in charge of advertising and organizing sale reports but I never analyze them. I input the data for Dakota to do that job. So I wasn't sure why he assigned such an important proposal to me when there were others who would excel instead.

Turner walks by my desk the next day and plops down a stack of papers as he usually does.

"Dakota said to put the data in an excel sheet and send it over to him when you're finished," Turner explains.

I run my finger through the stack and sigh.

"This is going to take all day," I say.

He pats me on the shoulder. "Looks like we'll be working overtime once more."

He then retires back to his desk where he immediately begins answering phone calls and typing out emails. He must be busy working on the proposal too.

After sifting through the documents for quite a while, I come across one with a phone number scribbled at the top of the page from someone from our company. It's legible this time.

I dial the number and the phone rings three times before I hear a response.

"Hello, thanks for calling. I'm Emmett, how may I help you?"

"Oh, hi," I say. "I'm Arlo from JC. I noticed your phone number at the top of one of our sales reports. Were you waiting for a call?"

"Hmm," he says. "We help analyze the data we send for you to input into the system. Usually Dakota Storm gives us a call for assistance."

"Ah, I see," I say. "Well, I'll let him know the reports arrived."

"Alright," he replies. "And another thing. You don't happen to be Arlo John, do you?"

"Uh, yes," I say. "Why do you ask?"

"I've heard a lot about you from Dakota," he says. "He speaks highly of your team."

"That's surprising," I say.

He laughs. "Are you not proud of your work there, Arlo?"

"That I am," I reply. "Dakota saying those words surprises me."

"I see," he says. "Perhaps he's kinder than he lets on."

"Right," I scoff. "Well, I'm back to work."

"Let me know if you have any questions," he says. "Have a great rest of your day now."

Emmett hangs up without waiting for a reply and I breathe out a long sigh before turning back to work for the moon will surely shine brightly over this cursed office before I take my leave tonight.

I continue inputting the data for the recent sales as I was instructed to and busily type away, my focus quite narrowed in on the proposal that I don't notice the appearance of an unwanted guest until they clear their throat, causing me to jump.

I earn a quick laugh from the broad fellow who peers down at me, slightly adjusting his glasses on his nose and leans down as he reads the contents of my computer screen.

"I'm surprised you're not doodling, Mr. John," Dakota says, his face close to mine.

"It seems you haven't given me the time," I reply, narrowing my eyes yet refusing to pull away. "I'm sure you know you've caused me to work overtime today."

Dakota's lips thin and he rises. "That wasn't my intention. You may leave anything unfinished for tomorrow."

"I'd rather not have anything carry over," I tell him. "I don't want to fall behind."

"How much do you have left?" he asks, spreading out a few documents across my desk.

"Just those few," I say.

He doesn't say anything for a moment and lifts the papers in his hands as he reads through them.

"I'll finish these. You may take your leave."

I raise an eyebrow at his unprecedented helpfulness. Though, he didn't need to tell me twice. I quickly rise from my desk and swing my bag over my shoulder, facing him.

"Well, bye."

Dakota's mouth curves up. "Is that all you have to say to me?"

"Yeah," I reply, taking a step back. "See you."

"You're as stubborn as ever," he says.

"I was never the stubborn one," I mumble, stepping beside him as he began to follow me out of the office.

"You are."

I look up at him and his eyes seem to paralyze me for a quick second.

"Dakota."

Now he froze.

"I suppose you're right," I say. "Stubborn enough to continue working under my old acquaintance, huh?"

His eyes suddenly soften and he closes the space between us, the smell of peaches swooshing by.

"That's all we were, AJ," he says, his voice coming out quietly. "Acquaintances?"

"What does it matter now?" I ask. "Whatever we were ceases to exist anymore. It doesn't matter what we call it."

"It matters to me," he says, refusing to back away.

"Uh, it shouldn't," I say. "But by the tone of your voice and how close you are to me, I assume you're not over it yet, are you?"

Dakota grins wickedly at my boldness. "Well aren't you perceptive?"

"It's obvious by the way you constantly appear at my desk like a sorry spirit bound to the location it died," I say. "I'd say it's time for you to move on."

"I constantly check up on you as it's my job, Mr. John. That head of yours has become much too inflated somehow," he says. "I've moved on long ago now. My current partner wouldn't be too thrilled to hear your words."

I'm not sure why but I feel my entire world stop as my body prickles with sweat but I somehow find the words to speak.

"You're dating again?"

Dakota's grin never falters as he leans closer to me, his mouth by my ear as he tells me, "Curious, are we?"

"No," I reply. "As long as you're not leading Marcy on."

Dakota steps away. "You don't give me much credit."

"I wouldn't put it passed you. We've had this conversation before."

"I don't take your words lightly, AJ," he says, using my nickname again. "I'm trying to change."

"Hopefully your next partner appreciates all I've taught you," I say, sighing.

"Sure."

———
thx for reading (: