Chapter 4

One of the many reasons why my relationship with Dakota ended was because of how he interacted with those around him. The way he flirtatiously charmed anyone he spoke to made me feel as if he just didn't care about me at all. And now I have to sit here while he does the same thing to Marcy.

Standing up in the middle of their conversation, Dakota's eyes follow mine and I purse my lips.

"Excuse me," I say. "I need to get back to my work."

I leave the two of them to continue sorting through the documents on my desk and become relieved once I remember Josiah lessened the load with Dakota's order.

Thinking back to how Marcy described Dakota, I try to remember if he was that way in our relationship.

Was he kind? Sweet? Observant?

Yes. He was all of that and more.

And that's why it was difficult for me to make the decision to break up after we had been together for six months.

But Dakota stopped caring about my feelings toward the end and it became exhausting trying to get him to understand.

I was still in love when we broke up but it was the best thing I could do for myself. And now it's been about four months since then. I no longer harbor those same romantic feelings. I only feel spite and anger when I see him.

Shaking the thoughts about Dakota out of my mind, I glance at my watch and begin to get ready for lunch.

"Ya ready?" Turner asks as he walks over, hanging is lunch in the air.

"Mhm," I say, following him to our usual spot.

Marcy and Josiah join us moments later and the four of us begin to talk about anything other than work.

"My sister got engaged," Turner says, taking a bite of his sandwich.

"Oh my gosh!" Marcy says. "Tell her I said congrats!"

Turner gives her a thumbs up. "Will do. He's a bit of a hippy."

"Like you?" Josiah says, snickering.

"Exactly," Turner replies, nodding his head proudly.

"What's new with you, AJ?" Josiah asks as I inhale some pasta. "You're quiet."

So I've been told.

"Absolutely nothing," I say. "Working overtime has taken up all of my free time."

"Well aren't you glad Dakota split your work up?" Josiah asks.

"Yeah," I say. "I'll have more time do to shit."

"Like what?" Turner asks. "Dating?"

I almost spit up my pasta.

"No," I say, my eyes unwillingly flickering to Marcy as she offers an encouraging smile.

"Why not?" she asks. "You'll have the time now."

I sigh. "It wouldn't work out."

"What does that mean?" Josiah asks.

"They don't feel the same way," I reply.

Turner raises his eyebrow and grins. "You're interested in someone?"

My face flames. "No."

"That doesn't sound too convincing!" Marcy exclaims. "Who is it? Do they work here?"

"I bet they do," Turner says, nudging me. "We can help ya out."

"I'm all set, thanks," I say. "I'm going to give up on her actually."

"Why?" Marcy asks with a frown.

"She doesn't feel the same way," I repeat, sighing.

She crosses her arms. "How would you know?"

"Well, do you like me?"

The room goes silent.

I laugh. "Thought so."

"Y-you're interested in me, AJ?" she asks. "Since when?"

I lean back. "It doesn't really matter since I know we aren't on the same page."

"I'm sorry, AJ," she says. "I had no idea."

I wave a dismissive hand. "I'll get over it."

It's nothing I'm not used to.

Well, lunch soon ends as the four of us awkwardly return to our desks and I cannot stop the flow of curses that erupt in my mind.

I idiotically admitted my feelings for Marcy not only to her but to Josiah and Turner. Jesus.

But I need to focus on my work or I'll have to work overtime so I push the thoughts out of my mind.

Looking down at one of the papers from Josiah, I squint and attempt to read the phone number printed on the top of the page and I can't quite make it out. Shit.

Regretfully picking up the phone, I dial Dakota's office's number and wait for him to pick up.

"Dakota Storm," he answers simply.

"It's Arlo," I say.

"Ah, AJ," he replies. "Why are you calling?"

"Don't call me that," I whisper.

I hear him laugh. "No one can hear us, you know."

"Still," I say. "Calling me Mr. John won't raise any suspicions. And we aren't close like that anymore."

"Hmm, what can I help you with, AJ?" he asks, completely disregarding my request.

"I can't read the phone number you wrote at the top of the page," I say. "Your penmanship sucks."

"Mr. John."

There it is.

"What?"

"How many times do I need to tell you to watch your tone?" he asks.

"Zero."

Dakota doesn't reply.

"Hello?" I ask.

"What?"

"I can't read the number," I say.

"What do you want me to do about that?" he says.

"Tell me what it is."

"Not when you speak to me like that."

I hang up. I'm not going to beg.

I did that too many times in the past and nothing good ever came out of it.

Pulling the paper to the side, I continue working on other emails instead.

Though, I'm soon interrupted as a large hand snatches the paper off of my desk. Looking up, I narrow my eyes.

"You need glasses," Dakota says as he looks at the phone number on the top of the page.

"You need to improve your handwriting," I say.

He lifts his glasses off of his eyes and holds them out.

"I'm not putting those on."

"Come on, AJ."

I quickly dart my eyes around, checking to hear if anyone heard him call me that.

"Stop," I whisper. "We don't have the same prescription, stupid."

He raises an eyebrow as the corner of his mouth curves up.

"Keep it up, AJ."

———
thx for reading (: