Chapter 13

The office is unusually busy as everyone bustles about, collecting documents and revising proposals in time for the weekend. My phone rings every so often as I receive questions about the status of our advertisements until I answer a particularly annoying call.

"Have you made a decision?"

I lean back in my chair and glaze over the pile of reports on my desk and force a painstaking sigh.

"Concerning what?" I ask, opening a file Josiah sent through email.

"Whether or not you want me as your boss," he replies.

"Oh," I say. "I'd rather not work under you and since you presented me with the opportunity not to, I think it'd be delightful to work for Emmett."

"Delightful?" Dakota says, laughing.

"Most certainly," I say.

"I see," he replies. "Can I try to sway your mind?"

"Why would you want to do that?" I ask.

"I already told you why, AJ," he says. "You're one of the best employees I have."

"One of the best?" I ask.

"The best," he corrects himself.

I laugh. "Goodbye."

I hang up on my boss and return to the large workload that lies ahead for the day. Though, I'm not presented with even a moment to get started as I'm interrupted by a phone call for the second time. 

"What?" I ask, sighing.

"AJ."

"I'm not going to continue speaking with you if you keep calling me that," I say.

"Emmett sent over the transfer request."

I sit up in my chair and feel the corner of my mouth lift up in a small smile.

"Did he?" I ask.

"Mhm," Dakota replies. "We can review it once you come by my office."

I quickly push myself out from behind my desk and speed over to Dakota's office. I usually drag my ass on the way, but this is different. I might never have to make this treacherous journey again.

Dakota's door is open when I arrive and my mouth twitches, threatening to smile in front of him, but I hold it back for his sake.

"Seems you've teleported here, huh?" Dakota says, looking up at me from behind his computer screen. "Take a seat."

Silently, I plop down in the seat across from Dakota and his eyes slowly raise to meet mine. My heart skips a beat when he does and I freeze in the chair.

"I hope you know I'm not going to let you go so easily," Dakota says.

"That's funny," I say, the words flowing seamlessly out of my mouth.

He folds his hands under his chin and raises his eyebrow. "How so?"

"I don't think it's worth explaining," I reply, refusing to break eye contact with my boss.

A smirk pulls at Dakota's lips at my response. "I'd love to hear it."

I breathe out and lean back in my chair, attempting to appear as nonchalant as possible, but my heart speeds up and my hands begin to sweat.

"You're not a great listener," I tell him. "Can we begin the transfer process already?"

"Hmm," Dakota says. "No."

I sit up straight. "What?"

"No," Dakota repeats. "I'm not letting you go this time."

"This time?" I ask.

Dakota brings a hand to his head. "Sorry."

I purse my lips. "You're unfair."

"I know," he says. "But I genuinely believe you're irreplaceable, AJ. Your work ethic is second to none and the projects you complete are always thorough and brilliant. I don't want to lose such a valuable employee."

A laugh escapes my lips at his pathetic attempt to sway me.

"You're an even bigger idiot than I thought," I finally reply.

Dakota sighs and allows me to continue speaking.

"It's clear to me now that all I ever was to you was your employee," I tell him. "You want me to stay at JC for the sole reason that I'm a hard worker. I'm afraid that's not enough for me to want to stay, Dakota."

"Seems we're both idiots in our own right," he finally replies. "Because you've just spewed nonsense out of that smart mouth of yours."

"Nonsense?" I ask, my mouth twitching in anger. "Those are facts, Dakota. You never cared about me, you cared about my work."

"I've failed as your boss and as your partner if that's how I made you feel," he says, softly. "But at the end of the day, you're the one in my head before I fall asleep, AJ. Not your work."

My body stills as a rush of heat fires throughout my body.

"You're still not taking this seriously," I say, his words replaying in my mind.

"I am," he says. "And I realize I'm being selfish and immature, but I can't stand it anymore. I thought just having you around after we broke up was enough for me, but it's not. I never stopped caring about you, AJ and it's driving me crazy."

I take a moment to process his words and shake my head. When I begin to speak, he continues.

"I'm sorry I didn't treat you right during our relationship and I know there's nothing I can say right now to convince you that I'm speaking the truth, but I still want to say it. You're the most important person to me and that hasn't changed since we started dating."

I stare at my boss, unsure of what to say to his sudden confession.

"Uh," I start. "Yeah. It's hard to believe the things you're saying when your actions don't quite add up. But I appreciate your willingness to apologize for it anyway."

"I take it my attempt to sway you has failed," he replies.

I nod. "Definitely."

Dakota breathes out and leans back. "I appreciate everything you've done for the company up until now and for teaching me how to love properly. It's a big loss for JC, but I'm sure you'll do great things with Emmett."

"Right," I say, standing up. "Thanks."

I don't wait for him to say anything and quickly exit his office, my heart pounding and hands shaking.

Dakota's confession is a shock to me and I can't calm my body down enough as I return back to my desk, sweating.

"Dude," I hear Turner say as he walks up to me. "You good?"

———
sorry for the long wait (,: