Chapter 16

I enter my home and slip my shoes off, leaning against the wall for support. Dakota switches the light on and silently follows behind me as I slowly stomp up the stairs.

Upon landing my eyes on my bed, I stumble over to it and flop down on my stomach, releasing a sigh.

"Change your clothes," Dakota says as my world spins around me.

"Nope," I say, the sound muffled as my mouth is pressed against the bed.

I hear Dakota shuffling through my drawers before I feel something land on my back.

"Put that on."

I groan and flip over, grabbing the shirt he threw at me.

"Don't throw shit at me."

Dakota turns his back in search for a pair of pants and I quickly toss the shirt I'm wearing at him. He doesn't acknowledge it and throws a pair of black sweatpants at my face.

"I didn't tell you to stay over so you could throw clothes at me," I say as I begin to slip off my pants.

Dakota eyes me from where he stands at my closet and folds his arms across his chest.

"Why did you say that then?" he asks.

I remain silent for a moment, his question catching me off guard.

"I don't know," I mutter, crashing back down on my bed.

I feel a sudden shift from the other side of my bed and I spin around, coming face to face with my old boss. I frown.

"Get out of my bed," I say.

"I've been mistaken then," he replies, a smirk spreading across his lips.

I stare at Dakota's face and the way it lights up when he smiles and suddenly, my hand lifts and brushes a curl out of his face. Dakota watches me and shoots his arm up when I realize what I did, grabbing my wrist.

"That's not why I'm staying over," he says, bringing our hands down, but doesn't release his grip.

"Let go," I say.

"Listen to me," he says. "Don't get so drunk and then go home alone, AJ. It's dangerous."

"I know," I say. "That's why I told you to stay over."

He laughs. "Right."

"Yeah, so let go."

"As you wish."

He releases my hand and the warmth and comfort I felt leaves with him and he sighs.

"What?" I ask.

His eyes fall to my lips and I feel my heart skip a beat. He doesn't answer my question and when he brings his eyes to meet mine again, I lean closer, my lips just inches away from his.

Suddenly, Dakota places his hand against my forehead and pushes me away.

"You're drunk," he says.

"So?" I ask, staring at his lips.

"I know you'd only regret it in the morning," he says. "And I'm not going to take advantage of you in this state."