Chapter 15

I go to my farewell party for myself. Not for Emmett, or my new coworkers, or for my old ones. And certainly not for Dakota.

When I arrive, I inform the host of the reservation under Dakota's name and she kindly leads me over to two long tables in the back of Vinicio's. The amount of people who decided to come surprises me, though I'm sure they ventured over for the free beer, not so much to express their disdain at my parting from the company. I don't even know some of their names.

Dakota catches my eye almost immediately but I tear my gaze away quickly, searching for a familiar face until I see a hand wave me over.

Emmett grins at me from the end of the furthest table and I walk over to him, finding an empty seat across from him. I attempt to squeeze through the slim row between the two tables until I come across an unfortunate roadblock.

"Kindly move," I say to my boss who makes no attempt at sliding his chair out of my path. Instead, Dakota continues chattering on as if I don't exist behind him.

I lean closer, irritated at his immature behavior.

"Kindly move," I repeat.

Dakota turns his head, a few curls falling across his forehead, a style he rarely wore, and meets my eyes.

"Sorry," he says, finally moving his chair.

I don't reply and slip into the seat behind him, embarrassed at the scene he caused.

Emmett laughs as I sit and I shake my head.

"So stupid," I say.

"You won't need to worry about him anymore, huh?" he says, taking a sip of beer.

"He can hear us, you know," I mutter.

Emmett glances over at the other table and watches Dakota engaged in a conversation with Marcy.

"He's preoccupied," Emmett assures me. "Any regrets on your decision yet?"

"Of course not," I say. "I'd rather my boss not be someone so immature and flashy."

Dakota's chair bumps roughly into the back of mine.

I don't acknowledge it, for he's just proving my point. But he's obviously listening to our conversation like the weirdo he is.

"I can't guarantee I'm any better," Emmett says. "But at least you'll be making a little more money."

I raise an eyebrow. "I will?"

"You're getting promoted," he replies. "Dakota must've left that part out."

I sigh. "Apparently."

Suddenly, Dakota spins around and looks between me and Emmett.

"Not sure why I keep hearing my name, but if you have something to say, give me a little tap on the shoulder, and I'd be glad to talk," he says to me.

"I'll be sure to," I say and wave him away.

Emmett and I continue to talk for a while until I walk over to the bar to order more beer. The bartender slides over a cold bottle and I take it, slowly walking back.

Oddly, Dakota watches me intently, his expression unreadable. Ignoring his gaze, I sit back down across from Emmett as Turner and Josiah join us. Emmett leans across the table and smirks.

"I think Dakota is jealous," he teases.

"You're out of your mind, buddy," I say, tilting the bottle down my throat.

"Are you sure there's nothing going on between the two of you?" he asks as Turner eyes me.

"I've honestly been wondering the same thing for a while now," Turner admits. "He always spawns at your desk out of nowhere."

I take another sip of the beer and my lips form a straight line. "You're outta your damn mind, too."

Turner laughs. "Man, I'm gonna miss you."

"I'll visit often," I tell him and point at Emmett. "If this guy lets me."

Emmett grins. "Only if I'm invited."

"Deal," Turner says.

Soon enough, a song that I recognize begins to boom across the bar and my body automatically rises from the table like a robot.

Unfortunately, I've consumed a couple more beers than I should have, and stumble over to the dance floor.

Emmett, Turner, Josiah, Marcy, and a few others join me and we dance around, giggling and grinning like idiots before the night comes to an end.

We say our goodbyes until an unwanted presence draws near.

"Wait for me outside," Dakota tells me.

"Don't tell me what to do," I grumble, but listen to his words.

He takes out his wallet and hands his card to the bartender before following me out into the parking lot. His car is parked in the front and he opens the passenger door, staring at me with a disappointed look spread across his face.

"Get in, idiot," he says.

I don't argue and silently slide into his car. I'm too drunk to get home on my own and we both know that. Luckily, Dakota responsibly didn't drink.

Dakota breathes out a long sigh when he enters the car and sits for a moment before talking.

"Idiot," he says again.

"Shut up," I mumble.

And he does.

Dakota drives in silence as I feel my eyes growing increasingly heavy and it becomes incredibly difficult to keep them open. I blink furiously in a fight to remain awake but it only makes me even more tired. So I fall asleep.

Until a warm hand touches my shoulder and pushes it softly.

"Wake up," I hear Dakota say before I suddenly jump awake, sitting straight up.

"Shit," I say.

"Yeah," Dakota says.

But I don't move.

"Do you need help walking to the door?" he asks.

"Probably," I say quietly.

"Jesus," Dakota says and I hear him unbuckle his seatbelt before he reaches over and does the same to mine. "Get out."

Dakota grabs my arm as I slowly push myself out of his car and he slips his arm across my back, steadying me. The warmth of his body burns my skin as I stumble over to my front door.

He removes his arm from my back and stares down at me, but I fail to keep my eyes on his as I look at the ground.

"I thought I told you to not get so wasted," he says.

"Yeah."

"Is anyone home?" he asks.

"No," I say. "You can stay over."

Dakota stills and then smiles at me.

"I was going to anyway."

———
thx for reading (: