Chapter 17

Emmett Sanders leads me through the new building where I'll be starting my new job and I'm quickly amazed at how massive and beautiful it is. There are six floors in the company and my department resides on the fourth. Emmett shows me where my new desk is and introduces me to the people who surround it, explaining that they're my new team members and they offer small smiles, expressing a few welcoming words.

"Let me know if you have any questions," Emmett says as I begin to organize my belongings. "We're glad to have you."

"Thanks," I say. "I'm excited."

Emmett grins. "Likewise."

As I sit at my desk and begin my work, my mind wanders off to Dakota once more as I remember the unfortunate events that transpired over the weekend. Dakota stayed over to make sure nothing happened to me and I never expressed my gratitude for his odd kindness.

I pull out my phone and decide to send him a text rather than call him, for I'm not in the mood to talk much.

Thanks for taking me home the other day.

I slam my phone down after sending it and put it face down on my desk before turning back to my work. A few minutes pass and I slowly turn my phone, checking for a response, but my screen is void of notifications. I quickly flip it over again.

I continue inputting data into a spreadsheet and finish two pages before my hand drifts toward my phone and I peek at the screen as I turn it over.

Still nothing.

I unlock it and press on the message I sent to my old boss and narrow my eyes upon realizing he read it and didn't reply. I slam my phone down again.

It's clear I must've done something to upset him when I was foolishly intoxicated, but I can't remember anything for the life of me. I begin to consider sending another message with an apology for my actions, but I doubt that's what Dakota wants to hear either. And I'm not entirely sure what actions I'd be apologizing for.

Still, perhaps it's the right thing to do.

I press on his contact and open up the messages between us when he suddenly begins to type. I stare at it for a few seconds and then he stops. I sigh and send another message.

Sorry.

I turn my phone down and resume my work. An hour passes and it's quite odd how new my boss doesn't show up every so often to bother me. And it's awfully strange how I probably won't have any reason to see my old boss aside from occasional meetings. Not that I truly cared.

I check my phone again and a weird excitement stirs in me when I discover Dakota finally replied.

For?

Shit. I don't exactly know.

For making you take care of me.

He leaves it on read again.

For saying unnecessary things.

It's read once more. Damn it.

For being drunk?

Read.

Nevermind. I'm not sorry for anything.

I'm well aware of my immaturity, but Dakota is pissing me off. He should tell me if I did something that bothered him so I could properly apologize, but he's actively choosing not to.

I know.

I slide my phone across my desk.

A few long hours pass before I finish my workload and I push my chair out, raising my arms above my head when Emmett walks over.

"How'd it go?" he asks, taking a seat at the empty desk beside me. "I'm sorry I haven't had the chance to check how you were doing."

"Don't worry," I say. "Everything went well."

"That's great," he replies. "You leaving?"

I nod. "I was just about to start packing up."

"Sweet," he says. "Let's head out together. I'll go grab my stuff."

"Sure," I say. "I'll be here."

Emmett returns within a few minutes and slings his bag across his shoulder as the two of us walk to the parking lot.

"You got any plans tonight?" he asks.

I shake my head. "I'm exhausted."

He laughs. "The first day is always exhausting. Go home and relax, AJ. You earned it."

"That was my plan," I say. "I'll probably crash the second I get home."

His shoulder brushes against mine as he walks. "I feel that."

"Yeah, well, have a great rest of your night," I tell him, pulling out my keys.

"You too," he says. "See you tomorrow."

I wave my hand slightly. "See you."

———

I arrive home as my exhaustion settles in and I head over to the bathroom to get ready for the night. After I get out of the shower, I pick up my phone and become surprised upon seeing I have a missed call. And it's from Dakota.

I can't formulate a single reason why I feel my heart begin to beat against my chest as I click on the notification to return his call.

He answers after a few rings.

"What?"

"What do you mean, 'what'?" I ask. "You called me."

"I did?" he says, as I hear muffled voices in the background. "Must've been a mistake."

"Where are you?" I ask.

"Why?"

"Never mind."

"Luna's Den," he answers. "Welcome party for the guy we hired in your place."

"Awesome."

"Sure is," he says. "But, hmm, now that you've called, give me a ride home in an hour."

"Drive yourself," I say.

"I can't drive," he says. "I'm drinking."

I curse. I owe him for the ride he gave me, but I'm exhausted.

"Fine," I say. "And it's a bad habit to call people when you're drunk."

"At least I don't try to kiss random people when I'm drunk."

———
thx for reading (: