Chapter 2: Whispers

The summer sun and heat were brutal as they made their way across the U.A. campus via a small brick-lined path bordering the interior side of the outside walls. The path was out of the way, meaning they wouldn't need to worry about running into any students, let alone a class during this time of day. They might run into a teacher or other staff member but they knew how to recognize the two of them when they were being incognito. Students on the other hand might panic at seeing two apparent strangers wandering the grounds along the inner wall. It wouldn't have been the first time a first-year reported a "stranger" on the grounds, only for it to be the actual groundskeeper who didn't interact with students much.

The cicadas wailed endlessly and by the time they made it halfway to the back gate, Ochako was already starting to sweat. As they walked they saw someone just off the path, sitting next to a pond. As they got closer, Ochako recognized her and she smiled.

"Hey Tsu!" she called.

Tsuyu twisted around, smiled, stood up, and turned around to reveal a large frog in her left hand. To her mild surprise, the frog had scaly skin, and wisps of black smoke were seeping from its mouth.

"Afternoon, ribbit," Tsu said.

"Watcha up to?" Ochako asked, eyeing the frog curiously.

"I discovered this pond had a small population of frogs, so I've been visiting and observing them. This one has a quirk, so I've been studying it to see if it might be useful to replicate." Tsu said, petting the frog.

"What about you two though? Out for a walk?" Tsu continued, looking between the two of them.

"We were on our way to town. We were planning on leaving through the back gate." Izuku said.

"Probably for the best, I thought I saw one of those vultures hanging around the front gate. Of course, that was this morning, so I doubt they are still there," Tsu sighed.

"I wonder if I'll ever be able to go out as I used to..." Ochako mumbled, more to herself than the others.

"I'm sure it will all blow over eventually. All Might had his fair share to deal with as well," Tsu said, trying to be comforting

"Yeah... I can't imagine what it would have been like for him, but my circumstances are a bit more unique. Not to mention that I'm a woman," Ochako said with an exasperated sigh.

Tsu didn't have anything to say in response. She couldn't relate, having been forced out of heroics from her injuries early on in the war. Momo and Mina had been better able to understand and offer advice, being very popular themselves, but even then Ochako's popularity had quickly risen to heights few could match. Perhaps the only people who could truly relate with her on a more personal level were Mirko and Stars and Stripes. 

"Well, don't let me keep you from trying to enjoy yourselves," Tsu said putting a smile back on her face.

"See you later Tsu," Ochako said, giving Tsu an awkward hug around the frog still in her hand.

"Have fun, ribbit," Tsu said, going back to the pond.

Ochako and Izuku continued toward the back gate.

The rest of the walk was uneventful but peaceful. Ochako closed her eyes as they walked, savoring it and letting the warm summer air fill her. All too soon, however, they arrived at the gates and Ochako felt the tension she'd managed to ignore during the walk, come back to the surface.

"You want to take a second?" Izuku asked.

Ochako took a deep breath and then strode toward the gates and put in her access code. The gates slid partway into their housing silently, save for the hum of the machinery inside. Before she changed her mind, she strode out, Izuku walking behind her.