Chapter 9

All the cars start moving and head off into the streets of Tokyo going straight towards a game. It doesn't take very long for the car I'm in to reach it's destination as the driver pulls into the side of the road and turns off the engine. I open the door on my side of the car and step out while looking up at the building in front all lit up. We wander in together as a group and head straight for the table with phones all set up neatly. We each pick up one up and watch as it displays the card type.

Ace of spades. "At least we'll get back without any trouble" one guy says from the beach group as I head over to the side and wait for registration to close. "I'm so glad we're got this instead of a hearts game" another guy laughs a little as a few more people enter the main area and pick up a phone. Everyone was quieter here compared to the last two games so I gather that we've all played games before and understand what's about to happen. Soon the timer ticks down to zero as I look up at the screen to see what game we're playing.

"Admissions closed, Game type: Ace of spades" the electronic voice speaks as we all just stand relaxed while waiting for the game rules. "Crossy Road" the voice says as I see some people scrunch their brows obviously a little confused. "Get 100 points to clear the game" is all the voice says before it flicks off as we look around a little confused by the lack of rules. Weird choice of game but it does seem simple and easy. A little too simple if anything even from an ace game.

The one thing I remember from playing this game though was the game over that appeared if you were too slow so I don't bother sticking around to see what would happen if we waited. There was no timer which made some people just walk out already forgetting it was a spades game. From what I've gathered they're endurance and physical games so I highly doubt the easiest spade game would have us walking leisurely until we reach a game clear. I jog ahead of everyone as I enter the main room of the game where there was a large dark space ahead.

From outside we could only see the front of the building so I didn't get to asses how large the game could be and just how physical it could get but even as I stand here I can't gather much information. It's pitch black. The only light is the one behind from the registration area of the game. I look ahead trying to get any idea of how for we were from the other side of the building but I can't see a thing. As I'm standing ahead of most I decide to wait a moment since this went against everything I remember about the simple world of crossy road.

I know in the game you can't see very much and have to react quickly to oncoming traffic but there was at least a chance in that. How the hell are we meant to dodge things we can't even see. Maybe there'll be headlights on cars or something but that wouldn't make any sense. You can't fit that many cars into this space right? From the front view of the building it didn't look like there was enough length to the building to store hundreds of cars and trains in here.

"Come on this is ea" someone says as I can just see them pass by me because of the light coming from the entrance. Whoever said that quickly falls into silence as I hear something swish through the air at an incomprehensible speed. What the fuck. The person stands there for a moment as I go to ask if they were alright but I just see them fall to the floor. A crash from his body is all I hear as people obviously start panicking a little caught off guard by the supposed easy game.

"Steps count right that must be it" I say making sure someone heard me so they might try to go ahead and test this theory before me. "What do you mean" a guy says now standing beside me. "It's always two jumps for the chicken in the game first" I say looking up but I can't actually see the guy there. "Just make sure to stop after those two steps, it's a safe zone" I say in a trusting and confident voice as the guy next to me seems to trust me but doesn't move. A slamming sound is heard from the registration area as I click onto the game over if we take too long. I don't have time to wait for someone.