Prologue

𝐈 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖
[ Prologue | ˚ˑؘ ]

AT TIMES LIKE this, Kimberly Martin wished she hadn't been friends with Mindy Harper

AT TIMES LIKE this, Kimberly Martin wished she hadn't been friends with Mindy Harper. No matter the circumstance, she was always late and loved to make a huge deal out of it to her when she got the chance.

"SORRY, I'M LATE!" Mindy yelled. She was supposed to meet Kim at the local coffee shop 'Byers', by 3:30.

It's now four o'clock.

"Mindy-"

"Yes, I know, I'm late," Mindy sighed. "I'm sorry."

"I'm sure you are." Kimberly scoffed and sipped her expresso.

Mindy sighed once again, disappointed that she had made her best friend wait thirty minutes. But, in her defense, she was late for a valid reason.

"There's a reason why I'm late," Mindy explained.

"And I'm sure you have one," Kimberly responded, her arms folded. "So, tell me."

Mindy sighed deeply and went on to explain why. "Okay. Do you happen to know who Gustavo Rocque is?"

"Gustavo Rocque?" Kimberly asked, perplexed.

"He's like a 90s mega-producer."

"No, why?"

"Well, he's in Duluth, and I-

"Wait, Gustavo Rocque?" Kimberly questioned again. "The one that's in that stupid infomercial you always show me?

"Yes!" Mindy replied. "And they're not stupid," She scoffed sarcastically in disgust, "I got something out of watching them."

"Oh yeah?"

"Mhmm"

"And what could that "something" be exactly?" Kimberly asked, sipping her espresso. She was curious to find out what Mindy was thinking. If she had something going on or if it was all simply a bit to gain Kimberly's attention.

Mindy grinned at Kimberly and handed her a piece of paper from her purse.

A flier stated that auditions for Gustavo Rocque would be held at the 'Duluth Rock Of Ages Theatre' until 5:00 tonight.

In an instant, Kimberly understood what Mindy was considering, and her response was simply straightforward.

"No."

"Oh, come on, Kimmy."

"No way Mindy. This is... probably a scam."

"It's not a scam, trust me. I passed around the theatre yesterday with my dad and it was very packed. I couldn't even get inside to sign up." Mindy added in response to Kimberly's complaint.

Kimberly sighed and put her head down on the table.

"And truthfully, I don't care if it's a scam or not. These events don't happen very often around here, and I'd really like to audition."

Kimberly lifted her head up from the table and got herself comfortable. She was in for a full amount of reasons why she should cater to Mindy's 'wants and needs'.

"How am I gonna take you? I don't even have a car."

"Just borrow your dads!"

Kimberly sighed. "Mindy-

"Or have your dad take us, I don't know Kim."

Mindy began to feel upset because Kimberly was hurting her dream of becoming a singer by limiting her chance to audition.

In Kimberly's defense, it wasn't her issue to handle. Hollywood fame is not important to her. All the talks about it have made Kimberly hate this profound idea.

"I just, I'd really like to attend this audition," Mindy said.

"Well, why can't your parents take you?" Kimberly asked.

"Because they don't care about my passion," Mindy responded in a disappointed tone. "But you do! Or at least you did. I'm starting to regret thinking that you actually cared."

Kimberly sighed and grabbed her hands. "Mindy-"

"Stop," Mindy insisted and moved her hands away from her. "It's over now, so-."

"Mindy-"

"I'm gonna go."

"MINDY!" Kimberly yelled, not intending to draw everyone's attention.

She turned around knowing exactly what she did and how she got it.

"I don't appreciate you gaslighting the fuck out of me," Kimberly told her, which made Mindy smirk.

"So, does this mean you'll drive me there?" Mindy pleaded, grinning. 

Kimberly stood up from the table and sighed while rolling her eyes. "Yes."

With a shriek of excitement, Mindy Harper gave Kimberly Martin the biggest hug she could ask for. "THANK YOU, THANK YOU!"

"What time do these auditions start and end again?" Kimberly asked, releasing the hug.

"Well...

Kimberly could already see where this was going. "Oh, my god, don't tell me they've already started."

"We have to leave now if we want to sign up by 5," Mindy remarked as she walked out of the coffee shop.

Kimberly sighed deeply and her expression turned severe and furious. "Mindy-"

"Come on Kimmy, you can ridicule me later," Mindy said in a rushed tone as she grabbed Kimberly's hand.

"WAIT!" Kimberly stated, immediately stopping.

"What now?" Mindy sighed.

"I can't just go home and grab my dad's car to go. I'm not even licensed yet, and I'm pretty sure he's busy at work."

"So we'll just call a cab."

Kimberly's face went blank, for the third time tonight. Mindy immediately read the frustration on her face, as Kimberly wanted to kill her.

Literally.

"Like I said," Mindy started, taking out her phone to call the cab, ". . . you can ridicule me later."

Kimberly sighed and waited with Mindy for the cab to arrive. All she kept thinking about was how long and frantic this night would be.

And she knew it.

"You owe me," Kimberly told her.

"Yep. Big time."

▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎

∞ ₒ ˚ ° 𐐒𐐚 ° ˚ ₒ ∞