𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. Out of Tune.

𝐈 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖
[ Chapter Eight | ⋆.ೃ*: ]

KIMBERLY BURSTED OUT the studio doors, her breaths coming in short with shaky gasps

KIMBERLY BURSTED OUT the studio doors, her breaths coming in short with shaky gasps. She was a whirlwind of emotions, and needed an outlet. Digging into her jacket pocket, she pulled out a marlboro cigarette and a lighter.

It wasn't something she was proud of, but smoking helped her in times of distress.

Ever since she stumbled upon her older cousin's stash when she was 14, the bitter taste and the burn of the smoke had always offered her a momentary escape. She had a friend, an older guy from school, who'd slip her a pack now and then. It wasn't something she did often, but it became her best friend during times like this.

Leaning against a tree, she inhaled deeply, allowing the smoke to calm her nerves.

"Kimberly?" A voice rang out from a short distance away. Logan. With him were Kendall, James, and Carlos. The concern in their eyes was evident, even if she didn't know them well.

"Are you okay?" He asked, trying to read her.

"Perfect," she replied, her tone dripping with sarcasm, letting out a puff of smoke.

Kendall hesitated for a second, his gaze softening. It wasn't filled with pity, but rather an understanding, like he could sense the storm raging inside her without needing a full explanation. "Sometimes, taking a moment helps," he murmured.

Kimberly glanced over at Kendall, offering him a weak smile. "Yeah, thanks."

For a brief moment, they stood in silence, surrounded by the noise of LA, the aroma of chlorine from the Palm Woods pool, and the distant chatter of its residents.

"I should head back in," she said, more to herself than to the guys. "We have a demo to record."

With a deep exhale, Kimberly stamped out her cigarette and swung open the studio door. She headed straight to the recording booth and slid on her headphones.

▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎▄︎

"I'M READY," SHE stated firmly, her voice steady. "Let's get this done."

For a moment, Gustavo looked taken aback. No one had ever cut him off before, let alone a newcomer, but that had already been established when they first met, so he understood it wasn't worth getting worked up over.

Mindy, on the other hand, darted her eyes between the two. She sensed the thick tension in the room, however, she couldn't shake off her concern for Kimberly.

Even without seeing it, she could smell the faint trace of smoke on Kimberly, a tell-tale sign of her friend's coping mechanism.

Gustavo's eyes narrowed, studying Kimberly. Instead of berating her, he seemed to recognize her determination, perhaps seeing a hint of his own relentless drive in her.