⥤ Chapter Three : Avatar ⥢

Chapter Three : Avatar

"I know Spider would do the same thing for his friends. So why does it feel so wrong to do it?"

(Y/N) writes a note for Norm to find. She writes:

"Norm,
I'm sorry to do this, but Jake's family is in trouble. I don't want to explain too much to you, cause I don't want anyone coming after me and being in danger. I hope you can get started soon on another Avatar for Spider. I'll see you when I dream.
-(Y/N)"

She leaves the note at her bedside. She knows her Avatar will be naked, so she grabs her bedsheet, as well her beaded necklace to keep close.

She sneaks to the part of the lab housing her Avatar. Across the room is the pod she'll use to transport her mind into it.

She tries clicking buttons, figuring out how to drain the water out and free her alter self. The screen warns her that the Avatars aren't ready, but she bypasses it.

The water begins to drain below the creatures. (Y/N) knows the window she has to enter her Avatar, before it dies like Spider's.

With the water drained, she selects another button, opening the glass to expose her Avatar. She caresses Spider's blue face within, internally apologizing.

She focuses on dragging her Avatar out to place on the floor, the body being very heavy since it's taller and has more muscle mass.

She rushes to the pod, ready to insert herself into her counterpart. She's read up on how to 'drive' the Avatar, and she papers up the machine. She lays her bedsheet across her Avatar, ready for her to eventually cover herself with it. And for the necklace, she places it with her Avatar as well.

When the pod is ready, she lays down inside. She encloses herself within, and prepares herself.

"This is it... This is the moment I've waited for, to be in my Avatar."

She calms herself, and closes her eyes. Her mind sees bright lights tunneling into a new perspective.

Her ears are ringing when she wakes, and the lights are extremely bright for her new eyes. Her body aches, as she struggles to sit up. Her squinting eyes look down at herself, smiling at the blue skin.

She looks around, her eyes slowly adjusting. She fears she'll be discovered soon, so she tries to rush herself.

She stands, her legs wobbling as she stumbles. Her toe kicks the necklace she left for her Avatar.

Smiling, she puts the necklace on. It fits perfectly now.

She covers herself, tightening the bed sheet around her body. Then, she looks up to see a woman in a lab coat has spotted her. The woman rushes off to get help, not knowing what to do.

Not knowing what to do as well, (Y/N) panics. She stumbles away. She struggles through corridors that aren't tall enough for her new body. She eventually finds an exit door, and tries to get through.

She doesn't allow the airlock to shift correctly, so the door opens and lets Pandora's atmosphere in. An alarm sounds.

She does her best to run from the lab, knowing people would be after her Avatar's body. She doesn't worry for her human body though, because she knows Norm finds it too dangerous to pull someone out of the pod.

She runs through the forest, her body slowly adjusting to the environment. She realizes her breathing, how it's so clear. Her chest doesn't tighten, and she feels free.

-

(Y/N) finally stops herself. She can both feel how much stronger her new body is, as well as the exhaustion from running.

She feels the beads on her necklace, smiling. She hopes everything will be worth it, knowing her friends are safe. The bedsheet that would normally wrap completely around her human self, fits as a short dress on her now.

Calm now, (Y/N) admires the world around her. She takes a deep breath, not needing an oxygen mask. She feels optimistic about no asthma as well.

Her ears can hear so much more. And apart from being hostages, this is her first time outside after dark. Lights from the lab aren't interfering either, making the colors more distinctive.

"Pandora was beautiful. Everything felt so .. much more. It's incredible."

She pulls her braid in front of her, staring at the queue at the end. She watches the tendrils move in waves. She mumbles to herself. "This is so cool..."

She eventually stands up, determined to find her friends.

I've posted the first few chapters to see how well this story does. I am going to try to keep updating when I can.