⥤ Chapter Five : Change ⥢

Chapter Five : Change

Jake is shocked to see a recognizable figure approach the hut with Lo'ak and Kiri. The girl slowly looks up to him, ready to be scolded. Instead, Jake's ears and eyes soften.

"(Y/N)...?" Jake almost doesn't want to believe it. Her hesitant smile tries to appeal to him.

Neytiri steps closer, her nostrils almost flaring with conflicted feelings. The girl bows her head to her.

"I want to help," (Y/N) begins. "I-I took this form to serve your family."

She keeps her head down, worried for Neytiri's scolding more than Jake's.

The mated pair exchange looks, trying to discuss without words. Neteyam decides to step forward, Tuk by his side.

The young Na'vi smiles to the Avatar. "(Y/N)!" She runs to hug (Y/N)'s leg. "Now you're one of us!"

The young one is just excited to have her friend there, with or without the blue skin.

"Norm is going to kill you," Jake comments, almost with a chuckle.

(Y/N)'s ears flatten, giving away her emotions more easily. "He was growing Avatars for us, it was supposed to be a surprise for you and your family. Norm wanted us all to be able to run out here without-"

"No." Neytiri disapproves. She still views (Y/N) as an 'alien' — as the enemy's child.

There is a pause as (Y/N) accepts Neytiri's decision. However, Neyteyam comes forward. He stands tall, confident in his statement. "(Y/N) killed to protect you, mother. I saw it."

This brings a new perspective to the mother. She looks to her husband.

Jake knows that no matter what happens to (Y/N)'s Avatar, her human body will be safe in the lab with Norm.

He also feels for her a little, knowing how it felt to want to help the Ometikaya, despite still being human.

Jake decides for the family. "If Norm lets you." He gives her a little shrug.

He walks back into the tent, before Neytiri can disapprove of anything else. Instead, she begins to see the girl's good intentions.

"Get rid of that sheet." Neytiri turns to go into the hut.

(Y/N)'s eyes thank Neteyam for his support. The brother motions for Tuk to follow, and the two go inside.

Lo'ak flickers his eyes to his friend's new body. (Y/N) notices and he looks away, his cheeks feeling hot.

Kiri giggles, grabbing her friend by the hand to bring her into the hut. Kiri puts together something for (Y/N) to wear.

"Kiri was quite excited to give me a makeover."

Kiri plays with (Y/N)'s hair and puts her in a more appropriate outfit than the sheet. Beads and feathers form a chest piece, covering her chest. A cloth lingers to cover herself below.

Kiri notices (Y/N)'s necklace, and smiles.

(Y/N) grows happier with each step, feeling more and more comfortable in her Avatar.

Lo'ak peeks into Kiri's part of the hut from time to time, admiring (Y/N) in a new light. He smiles too, seeing Kiri so happy.

-

(Y/N) falls asleep, her Avatar safe beside Kiri. As her mind attempts to drift off to sleep, it takes a pit stop to the lab.

Sounds of the pod whirring and bright lights in her eyes almost startle (Y/N). She groans, trying to sit up. When her vision adjusts, Norm is sitting there in disapproval.

"Have you lost your mind?!" He raises his voice.

(Y/N) swings her legs out, sitting on the edge of the pod. "Jake's family-"

"Your Avatars weren't ready!" Norm cuts her off. Spider's is unusable, and do you know how long it will take to make another for him?! I don't even know how you got yours out of the door!"

"It's safe to say Norm was mad at me. But he calmed down when his worry shifted to his old friend, Jake."

Norm takes a deep breath, after several minutes of trying to gather himself and his anger.

"Where is the Avatar?" He asks her calmly.

"With Jake's family. They're leaving tomorrow for sanctuary." (Y/N)'s head hangs low.

"What's wrong with Jake? You said he was in trouble."

"My father is back somehow... He's in an Avatar. He's after Jake and his family."

The scientist is shocked at how someone could be back from the dead, but he knows how advanced technology has become for the military.

"Jake doesn't want anyone else involved. He's going to hide somewhere, and I'm going with to make sure they're okay."

Norm sighs. He takes a flashlight, surprising (Y/N) with a bright light in her eyes. He checks her vitals, and proceeds to check her reflexes.

Norm stands, his hands on his hips. He's raised the twins since they were infants, and he struggles to know how to approach the situation at hand: one twin is missing and one is practically running away.

"Okay." He claps his hands to his side, sighing in defeat. "I'll allow it. Let me know if everyone is safe and ... log your experiences." Norm points to a desk with a video camera with it. "I want to know how your Avatar adjusts."

"Norm eventually gave in to the new changes. I video log about my Avatar adjusting to Pandora, and I get to help my friends. I don't get why Norm is worried though, my Avatar is fine so far."

"But I wasn't the only one that was going to experience change..."

The next day, Jake and his family sit through a ceremony, honoring a new member of the clan as their leader. 

"Jake asked me to stay behind, Neytiri didn't want me there. His family held heavy expressions, as Jake must give up his position."

Neytiri sheds the most tears as her family leaves the ceremony. She isn't prepared to leave home, let alone give up her position as Tsahik.

"We all packed up to leave."

The Sully family prepare their ikrans for a long trip.

When it comes time to mount them, Tuk rides with her mother, Kiri rides with Jake, and (Y/N) rides with Lo'ak.

She clings to Lo'ak from behind, a hand on his chest and the other on his shoulder. She can feel his faster heartbeat, but can't see his nervous expression. She smiles to herself, but directs her eyes to admire Pandora from the skies during the flight.