⥤ Chapter Six : Metkayina ⥢

Chapter Six : Metkayina

The rain became harsh on their long flight, making (Y/N) hold onto Lo'ak even tighter.

In calmer weather, she tries to peek over the side of his ikran. Lo'ak notices, and moves his banshee slightly, making her hug him tightly for stability. Neteyam notices, and smirks.

"Jake brought us to a new clan. They're secluded far from the Ometikaya, and any other Na'vi. He ensures we won't be found here."

The ikrans fly over a patch of rocks. People of the Metkayina clan blow a horn and yip, announcing the arrival of new people.

The Sullys land on sandy beaches. They all dismount.

Lo'ak awkwardly extends his hands, feeling nervous as he helps lower (Y/N) down safely by her waist. The two nervously lock eyes on her way down. She gives him a nod as a 'thank you'.

The awkward teens stay close to one another, Lo'ak feeling protective over her.

Neytiri instinctively grabs for her bow — the one her father gave her. Jake tells her to leave it though, wanting to make a good first impression.

The water-dwelling Na'vi surround the Sullys and (Y/N).

Unlike the Ometikaya, the Metkayina have more of a green tint to their skin. Their tails do not end with a patch of hair, but rather widen like a flipper. Their arms and legs are wide too, their shape to better swim with.

(Y/N) stands close to Lo'ak, her eyes also checking on a nervous Kiri. (Y/N) looks down, realizing her, Kiri, and Lo'ak have five fingers — along with Jake. She worries the Metkayina will not accept this.

Two teens approach the family, their eyes solid in judgment. They ignore Lo'ak and Neteyam's respectful greeting. They begin to laugh at the newcomers' features.

The taller teen inspects (Y/N) closely. Lo'ak notices, giving the teen a dismissing expression.

(Y/N)'s eyes wander, noticing a girl emerge from the water. Her eyes are more accepting and kind than everyone else.

"It's too small, how are they supposed to swim?" The two Metyakina teens continue to mock the appearance of the Ometikaya. (Y/N) finally notices the eyes of the taller teen. She steps closer to Lo'ak, putting a hand on his back as she stands beside him.

Finally, the chief of the reef people makes his presence known. He arrives on a new animal — a skimwing.

He emerges from the water, standing tall. Jake signals his greeting. "I see you, Tonowari."

"Jake Sully." Tonowari returns the greeting, and exchanges a kind smile. He inspects the Sully family.

His mate comes forward, her and Neytiri immediately not seeing eye to eye.

Jake greets her. "I see you, Ronal."

She stands more forward than her husband. Tonowari asks the impending question. "Why do you come to us, Jake Sully?"

Jake glances to his family, before turning to the chief and his wife. "We seek Uturu."

"Uturu?" Ronal repeats. Her ears twitch, before turning to see how her husband has received this information.

"Sanctuary for my family," Jake explains. He steps forward, eyes with a begging — and hopeful — expression.

Tonowari answers for him and his wife. "We are reef people, you are forest people. Your skills cannot be used here."

Ronal begins to walk closer to the new family, closely inspecting their features and expressions.

"We will learn your ways," Jake pleads. He looks to Neytiri for support. She gives him a small nod.

Ronal touches (Y/N)'s tail, noticing her hands. Ronal notices Lo'ak's protective eyes over her. She continues to inspect his hands – all their hands – suspiciously.

"Their arms are thin." Ronal makes Tuk grow nervous. She clings to her father for comfort. Ronal continues. "And their tails are weak. You will be slow in the water." The Tsahik directs her last sentence to Neytiri, the two mothers increasing their tension.

She targets Kiri, holding her hand up. "These children, they're not even true Na'vi."

Kiri swipes her hand back, defending herself. "Yes we are!"

Ronal approaches Lo'ak next, holding his hand up. "Demon blood!"

Her clan gasps. Whispers erupt amongst them in judgment.

(Y/N)'s ears lower, sad as Lo'ak is visibly embarrassed.

The young girl also grows self conscious, worried she will be outed for being 'Skypeople'.

Jake holds his hands up, defending his family. "Look! Look! I was born with the Skypeople and now I'm Na'vi, alright? You can adapt." He turns to Tonowari. "We can adapt."

Neytriri tries to step forward, supporting her mate. "My husband is Toruk Makto. He led the clans to victory over the Skypeople." Her eyes look towards Ronal.

Jake cringes, unsure if the statement will help their situation.

The Tsahik of the reef people almost scoffs. "You call this victory? Hiding among strangers? It seems Eywa has turned her back on you."

Neytiri bares her teeth. Ronal does in return, the women causing their husbands to awkwardly exchange expressions.

"I apologize for my mate." Jake tries to lighten the situation. "She's-"

Neytiri groans. "Don't apologize for me-"

"-come a long way. She's exhausted." Jake gives Neytiri a look, making her back down.

Ronal and Tonowari exchange looks. He speaks his mind. "Toruk Makto is a great war leader, all Na'vi know his story. But we are not at war."

"I don't want war, okay?" Jake pleads.

(Y/N) grows sad at how the once great warrior has lowered himself to begging. She understands the family man wants to keep his loved ones safe, but she questions where 'Toruk Makto' – his fighting spirit – has gone.

But war is not something the Ometikaya nor the Meytkayina need right now.

"I just want to keep my family safe." Jake picks up Tuk, who buries her head into his chest.

Ronal and (Y/N) meet eyes. (Y/N) quickly looks away, adding to Ronal's suspicion. The woman sighs, before giving her husband a nod.

The chief turns to his people. He announces, "Toruk Makto and his family will stay. Treat them as our brothers and sisters."

The two oceanic teens from before step forward, the girl who swam forward joins them. Tonowari continues. "My son, Ao'nung and my daughter, Tsireya will show your children what to do."

Ao'nung's friend, the other teen, is Rotxo. He looks to Ao'nung as the son disapproves of his father's words. Tsireya gives the Sullys a warm smile.

Jake sets Tuk down, telling her, "Now what do we say?"

The sweet girl smiles, especially to Tsireya. "Thank you."

Ao'nung goes to storm off, his eyes finding (Y/N) on his way out.

-

Tsireya shows the family to their new home. The huts sit over the water, conjoining with others by walkways made of netting. Tuk hops along.

"This is for you." (Y/N) admires how Tsireya doesn't look at them or treat them differently. "Your new home." The oceanic teen leaves, allowing the family to settle in.

thank you to everyone who's given positive feedback! this definitely encourages me to publish future works i have in mind! as for now, i'm focused on this story, and i'm excited to see how everything turns out once it's all done

enjoy!