⥤ Chapter Fifteen : Born Again ⥢

Chapter Fifteen : Born Again

While Norm freezes on the spot, Max rushes to get a defibrillator.

Norm goes to lay her body down flat on the ground, ripping her shirt open as Max charges the defib unit.

Max and Norm work together to revive (Y/N). The skin on her chest becomes red as Max repeatedly tries to restart her heart. Their failing attempts bring a sad realization.

Norm sits back against the pod, crying the most out of everyone in the room.

Max covers the girl with his jacket, not wanting to see her closed eyes — not wanting to accept it.

A scientist runs into the room urgently, "Norm!"

Norm looks up, looking through teary eyes.

"It's Jake," the scientist informs him. "Something's happened with (Y/N)'s Avatar."

-

Norm rushes to Jake's location, arriving in his Avatar form. Max comes along too, not having an Avatar to be in.

Jake proceeds to tell his old friend how Kiri and (Y/N)'s Avatar experienced seizures.

Norm and Max scan both of the girls' brain activity. Kiri is perfectly healthy. Max tries to explain this to Jake, as a worried Norm tries to understand (Y/N)'s situation.

Her brain activity is still, as if frozen. Her heartbeat is low, and her breathing is shallow. Norm becomes confused.

Neytriri enters the hut, having brought Ronal to help.

Ronal looks around, disgusted by Skypeople in her presence. "I see I am not needed."

Neytiri grabs her arm, pleading to Ronal. "You are Tsahik!"

Norm's eyes even plead to Ronal. The woman notices his connection to (Y/N), as he leans over her worriedly. This is where Ronal finally connects the dots, on if (Y/N) may have been Skypeople.

"Remove these things," Ronal speaks.

"Out!" Neytiri dismisses everyone. "You have done nothing!"

Max and Jake go to leave the hut, Jake having to almost drag Norm out.

Neytiri motions for her sons to leave too, wanting to give Ronal space. Neteyam brings Tuk out of the hut.

Lo'ak notices how worried Norm is, seeing him and Jake having a private conversation.

"Norm, what is going on?" Jake asks, wanting an answer to both of the girls. He narrows down on Norm's main concern though, "What happened with (Y/N)?"

Norm shrugs, trying to not bring himself to tears again. "She woke up in the pod seizing. What happened to her Avatar?" Norm knows something is connected.

Jake explains the teens' trip to the Spirit Tree.

Ronal exits the hut, before Norm can ever tell Jake the end result of (Y/N)'s human body at the lab.

-

Ronal sits beside the girls. She begins on Kiri, as Neytiri holds her daughter's hand. She performs a healing ritual, chanting while she pokes Kiri's skin with a needle.

Kiri's eyelids begin to flutter. Neytiri gasps, kissing her daughter's hand as she comes to.

Ronal moves to (Y/N), repeating the ritual on her as Neytiri consoles Kiri.

Kiri cries at first, unable to process the vision the tree has given her. She saw her real mom, Grace — she even hugged her. But she was unable to learn who her father was, and why she's special.

Her vision ended with Grace yelling, being snatched from her embrace. As her mother faded, Kiri hears (Y/N) calling for her.

Kiri finds (Y/N) in front of her. Her friend asks, "Help me stay." Their embrace leads to her seizure.

Neytriri finally looks up to notice Ronal performing the ritual on (Y/N). Before she can say anything, Kiri sits up. She remembers her vision, feeling something has changed with (Y/N).

Neytiri senses a change in her daughter, seeing Kiri crawl over to (Y/N). The girl holds her friend's hand. Kiri knows.

(Y/N)'s eyes open. She's reborn.

"I touched the Spirit Tree, and was given a choice."

Kiri smiles, her eyes tearing up more at (Y/N)'s victory.

"I chose what felt like home."

(Y/N)'s eyes are tired, having passed through the eye of Eywa and returning.

"I finally felt like me. I was finally Na'vi."

Ronal is exhausted. Neytiri turns to thank Ronal with a nod. The Tsahik nods back, before leaving the hut.

Neytriri crawls over unknowing. But she sees (Y/N) differently, feeling happy she's okay.

Kiri helps (Y/N) sit up enough for a hug. When the two let go, Norm immediately hugs (Y/N) next.

"What happened? Y-You-" Norm goes to ask her how any of this is possible. (Y/N) shushes him, not wanting to have this conversation in front of everyone.

-

Max packs up for the flight back to the lab. Norm shares a private discussion with (Y/N), as he further assesses her vitals after the recent events.

"What happened?" Norm asks, more calm now that the teen is alive in some way. "You died, back at the lab."

She stares off, remembering the bright light in her vision — remembering Eywa. She smiles at the warm feeling.

"She let me stay, Norm." She turns to him. "This is me, now."

Norm realizes. He smiles, knowing this is what she's wanted.

"Are you going to tell them?" Norm asks, referring to Jake and his family.

She considers it, but doesn't want to be treated differently.

"They let me come because I had an Avatar," she thinks aloud. "If they knew this was really me ... I don't know."

Norm gathers all his equipment. He sighs, like a father seeing how grown his kids are. He raised the twins, and now (Y/N) has reached a milestone. He's proud.

"Your vitals are good. Your Avatar-" Norm clears his throat. (Y/N)'s Avatar is just her now. "You are all good."

She smiles, the two tearing up before embracing. She hugs Max as well.

She watches the aircraft leave, Kiri approaching her soon after. The two girls look at each other, knowing.

"Did you help with this?" (Y/N) asks, motioning to herself.

The question may always be a true mystery, but Kiri nods, wanting to believe so. They hug, the emotions making them teary.

Lo'ak walks over, happy that the two girls are okay. (Y/N) sees him, and rushes to hug him.

"Are you okay?" Lo'ak asks.

"I have never felt better, Lo'ak."