⥤ Spider, Part Two ⥢

Spider, Part Two

All the Avatar soldiers bond with ikrans of their own. Traveling on the banshees, rather than the aircraft, will help them blend in.

Quaritch lands his ikran, outstretching a hand for his son. "I ain't gonna leave you behind."

Spider mounts the banshee, holding onto his father. But the teen begins to think, remembering how everyone left him that very night in the forest.

"No, they didn't mean it," he thinks to himself. But doubt creeps in.

-

They all fly back to the base, Quaritch enjoying this new experience with his son.

"I've always wanted a son," he reminds Spider.

The teen is hesitant to speak. He filters through his thoughts and emotions: his friends leaving him behind that night in the forest, Quaritch being a bad man but now being back in his life, worrying when his father fell with the ikran.

Without (Y/N) — without his good conscience — by his side, he listens to his father.

Quaritch continues. "I'll make you an Avatar, son. We can do this all day together, explore Pandora."

Spider is reminded of the Avatar Norm has been growing for him. Though he was always weary of using it, he's becoming more convinced of it now.

Quaritch continues to speak to his son. His words are both lies, to continue his deadly agenda with Jake, as well as truths, to bring him closer to the son he's always wanted. "I'm sure I can even get those nerds to keep you in that Avatar. Imagine never needing that dumb mask anyway."

'That dumb mask'. Spider is reminded of (Y/N) and her special mask, remembering her asthma. He wonders if that's what is keeping her from finding him.

He wonders if any efforts at all were made to find him.

Quaritch sees his son's busy mind. "What is it?"

Spider begins to imagine how Kiri would react to seeing him in his Avatar body. He imagines how their friendship could benefit, without him being human.

"If I help you find Jake," Spider hesitates. "If you promise to not hurt him."

Quaritch is interested. "I won't lay a finger on him." He clutches his knife.

Spider thinks of his Avatar in Norm's lab. "And you have to promise me, you'll help me get my Avatar."

Quaritch smiles. "You got yourself a deal."

Spider worries if he's made the right decision.