⥤ Chapter Nineteen : Friend or Foe ⥢

Chapter Nineteen : Friend or Foe

(Y/N) tumbles around in Payakan's mouth, the water sloshing her around violently as Payakan swims away.

The tulkun eventually releases enough water for (Y/N) to resurface and breathe. She coughs and gasps for air as the swim is still rough. "What are you doing?!" She's confused on why he swallowed her. "We need to go back! Lo'ak!"

The creature didn't notice Lo'ak wasn't with them, making noises of worry. His panicked swimming, continues to slosh the water inside his mouth.

(Y/N) is thrown against the sides of Payakan's mouth, before being thrown against the animal's queue. She instinctively grabs for it, connecting to him. Her energy calms him down a little, settling the water she treads water in.

United, the two swim back to look for Lo'ak.

-

Despite the teens' efforts in fleeing the scene, it is Tuk, Lo'ak, and Tsireya that are captured by the humans. They're cuffed to the side of the ship. Quartich comes out, an evil smirk across his face.

Getting a literal call for help over the comms, Jake alerts his wife, as well as Tonowari and Ronal. They all prepare for war to get their children back.

Lo'ak, Tsireya, and Tuk are put on display for Jake's arrival. Spider is instructed to watch in secrecy, Quaritch telling him that he doesn't want his son getting hurt.

The teen watches, as Jake and fighters from the Metkayina clan line up in the distance. He keeps a close eye, remembering that his father promised a peaceful interaction with Jake.

(Y/N) and Payakan see Lo'ak from under the water. Quaritch is baiting Jake, holding a gun to Lo'ak's head. Payakan is angered – (Y/N) feels this. She feels him slam into rocks, worried for his friend.

"Go," she tells him. The tulkun swims to the surface, jumping out of the water and onto the ship. He crushes humans, and destroys part of their machines.

Spider is almost crushed by the animal. He makes a run for it, angry that violence is being brought into the situation. He thinks to himself, "Things could've gone a lot smoother."

Payakan releases (Y/N) from him. She runs to the deck to free her friends. "My Lo'ak!" She runs to him and cuts him free first. He takes out his knife so the two can cut Tsireya and Tuk free.

"Go!" Lo'ak shouts, ushering his friends to get off the ship.

Spider is angered as he fights his way through the ship. Chaos erupts all around, as Payakan's attack leads to Jake and the Metkayina clan to begin their attack.

Spider just wanted a peaceful exchange. He grows frustrated at the violence, not wanting anyone else to die. Then, he crosses paths with Lo'ak and the others.

"Stop!" Spider's voice causes (Y/N) to freeze on the spot.

"Spider!" Lo'ak shouts happily. Tuk and Tsireya turn around, (Y/N) being the last to see her brother.

He has a gun, not wanting anything else to get anymore violent. "Why couldn't they just let Jake come peacefully?" He plans to keep his old friends still, so that Jake will come forward. He has it aimed forward, posture unconfident.

He is then shocked by his sister's Avatar. "Did Norm finish the Avatars...?" He sees her pained expression. She wants to feel happy to see him, but she's not happy to see him with a gun. With a weapon in his hand, she worries he won't take the news well.

"I stole it, Spider," she tells him. "Our Avatars weren't ready, I stole mine. I'm sorry."

Spider grows angry that his Avatar is unusable. It will take a long time to grow another one, longer than Spider has the patience for.

"Bro," Lo'ak says, holding his hands up and slowly approaching Spider. "We need to go." He hopes his friend is still on their side.

Spider's eyes slowly give in, his arm lowering. (Y/N) tries to calm him down, "We can make another Avatar." "I missed you, Spider."

He doubts his sister, his arm stiffening with his finger on the trigger. "Did you even look for me?"

Ao'nung and Roxto continue to try to maneuver the fight alongside Kiri and Neteyam. They all stop on rocks, Ao'nung signaling for his parents to come rescue them.

Kiri expresses great worry for her siblings on the ship. Neteyam instructs her to stay put, knowing help will come to save her. Then, he offers to go find his younger brother and Tuk.

When Neteyam spots his siblings, he boards the ship and runs over. "Let's go!" Tuk is happy to see her eldest brother, and runs to him first.

Payakan suddenly jumps from the ship, back into the water. The entire boat rocks, causing Spider to pull the trigger as he loses his balance. He falls over, as the Sullys and (Y/N) run off the boat.

Spider calls for his sister. "Come back, (Y/N)!"

In the water, the teens click and call for their ilus. As the creatures come for their Na'vi, Neteyam grunts in pain. He's been shot.

"Bro?" Lo'ak is in disbelief. He helps his brother onto his ilu, Neteyam struggling to stay afloat. They all swim away as war continues all round them.