Part 1

May 13, 2013
"Why can't you just tell me where we are going?" She asks as they sit in the back of a black SUV from the car service he often frequented. "We're almost there." He promises. Their one year anniversary was last Tuesday, but after catching a case involving drones and Beckett catching the stomach flu Friday and Saturday, they pushed their celebration back until today. They're driver pulls up outside of a building that's all too familiar to them both. "Recognize this place?" He asks, "Yeah. It's the rooftop where we first met." She answers. He helps her out of the car and they make their way inside.
Castle guides her upstairs until they're on the rooftop. Nostalgia rushes through her as she's taken back to four years ago when they first met here at his book signing while she was dealing with someone copying murders from his books. However, this scene looks very different. There are string lights hung up around the posts and the ground is covered in red rose petals and candles. Her heart begins thumping loudly in her chest as she gets an idea about what is going to happen in the next several minutes.
"Rick." She whispers his name in disbelief. He pulls her into the middle of the rooftop. "Kate, about four years ago, you walked onto the rooftop and asked if I could answer some questions about a copycat killer. I remember turning around to you calling my name and being immediately taken aback by you and your beauty. I'll admit, my intention of our relationship in the beginning was meant to be meaningless, but as I started to get to know you, I knew I was in trouble because how could I not fall in love with you?" He rhetorically asks.
Tears trail down her cheeks as he continues to speak. "I could list everything I love about you, but we'd be standing here for centuries, so I'll just state a few of my favorite things. How human you are. You always think it's a weakness, but it's one of the times when I pinch myself that I get to be in your presence. Then there are of course your physical attributes because, Kate, you're gorgeous. Your eyes, your smile; all you have to do is smile at me and I'll do anything you want. And, my absolute most favorite thing about you."
His hand travels up and rests between her breasts, "Your heart. It's one of the most purest, selfless ones I've ever come across. Kate, you are the love of my life. I love that when I open my eyes you are the first thing I see and that when I close my eyes you are the last thing I see. I want to spend the rest of my life right by your side because it's the only place I've ever felt I truly belong." He finishes before lowering himself to one knee and pulls out a box. Kate's eyes widen as it finally hits her that this is actually happening.
"Katherine Houghton Beckett, will you marry me?" He asks before flipping the lid of the ring box open to show off a simple band with a 5.6 carat princess cut diamond settled perfectly on it. Kate smiles as she looks into his eyes and nods, "Yes." She finally gets out. Castle and Beckett share another soft smile with each other as he pulls the ring out of the box and slips it onto her left ring finger. He stands and wraps his arms around her waist before pressing his lips to hers.
"Castle, it's beautiful." She tells him as she stares at the new addition to her finger. "Beautiful ring for a beautiful woman." He states. She looks back up at him and then they share another sweet kiss before he grasps her hand and guides her towards the door, "Where are we going now?" "You'll see." They make their way back inside the building and down a few floors before Castle pulls her into a dark room. The light turns on and she finds her friends and their family in the room that's decorated with black and gold decor.
"Surprise!" They all yell. The detective stands in shock as people start coming up to congratulate them. Castle is pulled into the arms of his mother and daughter while her dad wraps his arms around her, "Congratulations Katie." He whispers in her ear, "Thank you, Daddy." "You got yourself a good man. Now, let him take care of you." Jim tells his daughter, "I will." She smiles as her dad goes to congratulate her fiancé while Martha and Alexis make their way to her, "Oh, darling, I'm so thrilled Richard finally got it right this time." Martha says as she hugs her.
"Thank you, Martha." She smiles with gratitude at her soon-to-be mother-in-law. Beckett is shocked when Alexis wraps her arms around her in a hug. Things have been rocky between the two women that past year and a half. This feels like the first step towards acceptance, "Thank you for making my dad so happy." The young redhead says, "It's my job. I'll keep trying to be successful at it for the rest of my life." Kate promises the young girl who smiles and nods. She's not shocked that the next person she sees is Lanie.
"My best friend is engaged! Let me see." Lanie exclaims as she hugs her best friend and then pulls back to see the ring, "Wow, he did good. It's gorgeous." Jenny says from Lanie's side, "He really did. I love it." She says. Beckett looks up as her friends continue inspecting the ring to look for her writer. His eyes meet here and he makes his way towards her with Ryan and Esposito in tow. "Congratulations Chica." Esposito says as he kisses her cheek and hugs her before Ryan does the same, "Don't worry, we have Castle the speech." Esposito tells her.
"What speech?" "That if he hurts you, we know how to kill and dispose of a body and how to get away with it." Ryan tells her. She rolls her eyes but is secretly grateful for the protectiveness her boys have for her. It's brother-like protectiveness. Castle wraps his arm around her waist, "And I told them that they don't have to worry about that." He adds. Beckett smiles and nods. After hours of sipping on champagne and munching on the finger foods spread out for them, their guests start leaving. "We'll see you tomorrow at home?" Alexis asks her father.
He kisses her forehead, "Of course, Pumpkin. Watch your Gram, make sure no parties are thrown at my house please." He asks his daughter who nods with a smile, "Where are we going?" Kate asks as she realizes they aren't going home after Alexis' statement. "That's another surprise. C'mon." He says. They make their way back to the car and slip inside, "We're engaged." She says out loud. He chuckles, "I know. I'm the luckiest guy in the world." She rolls her eyes at his statement before kissing his cheek and looking at her ring once again.
"It really is a beautiful ring, Rick." She says, "I saw it and couldn't take my eyes off of it. Something about it is so simple yet so elegant. Like you." He tells her. She goes to respond, but the car comes to a stop and she looks outside of the window and notices they're outside of The Plaza Hotel. "What are we doing here?" She asks, "We're staying the night in the honeymoon suite." He says nonchalantly. He once again helps her out of the car and their driver drives off before she can protest, "But we don't have bags."
"I got it covered. Plus, we won't be needing clothes." He whispers the last part in her ear and then presses a kiss to her neck. He leads her inside the elegant hotel and checks them in before guiding her up to their room. He unlocks the door and stops her from stepping inside, "I better get some practice in." He says. She looks at him quizzically and then squeals when he lifts her in his arms bridal style and carries her inside their suite. He goes straight for their room which is only lit up by what seems like a million candles.
Their bed is covered in red rose petals and the satin sheets look extremely soft. He sets her down on her feet, "I love you." He says, "I love you too." She smiles before pulling him down so his lips meet hers. And after that, no other words are spoken for several hours.
Here is my new story! I will still be updating '2 for 1' and 'More than Expected' so don't worry! But I wanted to write a Castle story that wasn't an AU. Comment what you think! Here is Kate's ring:

 Comment what you think! Here is Kate's ring: