Part 23

May 11, 2014 — Mother's Day
29 weeks 1 day pregnant
Castle has been waiting for this day to come for awhile: Mother's Day. A lot of people would probably get confused by that statement, but he has been hoping for the day he could celebrate Beckett on Mother's Day, and it's her first time being celebrated on the holiday. The first year they were together, she told him how she avoided the holiday like the flu; too saddened by the prospect of not being able to celebrate with her own mother. But that all is about to change this year.
Her dad is coming over to join him and Alexis in preparing a Mother's Day brunch for Kate and Martha. That's where he'll give her the gift he's been hiding for a few days now. The gold necklace holds two pendants: an 'A' pendant and a ruby pendant since their daughter's name will be Avery and she's due in July which ruby is the birthstone for. After brunch, Castle was going to give his wife a prenatal massage before they get ready to go to dinner. It's going to be an amazing Mother's Day just like he always imagined.
There is a knock on the door and Rick opens it to invite Jim in. Alexis soon joins them and they begin working on brunch. They make a concoction of waffles, pancakes, eggs, bacon, fruit salad, coffee, tea, and Castle makes Beckett a small serving of the oatmeal she's been eating everyday for majority of her pregnant. Martha flitters down the stairs in perfect timing, "Good morning, all." She announces. They all greet her and wish her a happy Mother's Day. "My, my look at this spread. Where is Katherine, Richard?" She asks her son. "Still sleeping. Last night was rough."
Although Castle was excited to wake his wife up to begin today's festivities, he felt guilty when she needed the sleep. Last night, her hips began aching incredibly and she had a headache so bad that she could barely keep her eyes open. She sat in a warm bath for an hour and even after that, Castle stood in the shower with her rubbing her hips and back as the warm spray soothed the ache. By the time they got in bed it was nearing 3:00 and Beckett was hungry for pineapple and cool whip, but the minute Castle entered the bedroom with it, he found his wife fast asleep.
She must've woken up later that morning to have the treat because when he got up to prepare brunch, the bowl was empty. As if she could hear them, Beckett exits the bedroom in a pair of black pajama pants and a white tank top with a grey robe hanging off of her. Her hair was pulled up into a messy bun and a smile graced her face when she saw her family in the kitchen, "Hi." She says, her voice still a little rough with sleep.
"What's all of this?" She asks, "Happy Mother's Day." Castle wishes her as he rounds the bar to wrap his arms around her and kiss her cheek. She feels her eyes get watery, "You didn't have to do this." She tells him. He shakes his head, "Of course I did. You're Avery's mom." He says a little to loudly. "Whose Avery?" Alexis asks. Castle's eyes widen with an apology as he looks down at his wife. He wasn't sure how she felt about telling everyone the baby's name yet. She shakes her head with a smile and lays a reassuring hand on his arm.
"Tell them." She encourages. Castle turns and wraps his arm around Beckett's waist, "Avery is your baby sister. Avery Johanna Castle." He announces. Everyone smiles as Jim steps forward, "Johanna?" He asks, "What do you think, Daddy?" The detective asks her father, "I think it's a beautiful way to honor your mother." He says before kissing her forehead and pulling his daughter into his arms. "Happy Mother's Day, bug." Jim whispers in her ear, "Thank you, Dad." Kate whispers back. They all exchange hugs and Kate wishes her mother-in-law a happy Mother's Day before they eat.
       They all take turns filling their plates and Rick chuckles when he sees his wife fill two plates along with a bowl of her oatmeal. "What? I'm feeding two people." She defends herself. "I know. You're just adorable with your plates and your bump." Castle admires, "Shut up." She laughs before she goes to join the rest of their family at the table. "Are you going to go visit Mom today, Katie?" Her dad asks when they're all settled. Beckett takes a deep breath and slowly shakes her head, "It's still to hard." She tells him. Castle rubs her back.
       "I think now would be a good time to give you this." Castle says changing the subject as he pulls out the small, wrapped jewelry box and hands it to his wife, "What's this?" "It's your Mother's Day gift." Castle says before passing a envelope to Martha, "And Mother, here is a weekend spa retreat for you." Castle says even though his mother picked out the resort and sent him the certificate to pay and print out. "Thank you, dear." Martha smiles. Beckett smiles before unwrapping her box and lifting the lid of the jewelry box, "Oh, Rick, it's beautiful." Beckett smiles.
      "What is it?" Alexis asks. Beckett turns the box around and shows everyone, "It's a necklace with a pendant for Avery's initial and birthstone I'm assuming?" Beckett looks towards her husband who nods, "Thank you, it's beautiful, I love it." She smiles and kisses his cheek. "Happy Mother's Day." He whispers and kisses her forehead before they finish eating their brunch. After brunch, Beckett's dad heads out to go get flowers and visit Johanna's grave while Alexis goes to call her mother and Martha begins packing for her spa retreat leaving Castle and his wife to tackle dishes.
      Once the dishes are on, Castle directs his wife into his office where candles light up the room and the massage table is out. "I figured you could use a massage." He whispers and presses a kiss to her neck. "You're so good to me." Beckett turns in his arms and pulls him down for a kiss. "Thank you for my necklace. It's one of the best gifts you've ever given me. After our daughter and yourself of course." Beckett says with a smile. He kisses her forehead and then her nose and cheeks before ending with one final kiss to her lips.
       She undresses and slides on the table giggling to herself when she finds the makeshift towel support her husband made for her bump. The massage is heavenly. Her hips and lower back have been aching terribly the further along she gets into the pregnancy. As she lays on the table, she can't help but think about how they only have eleven weeks left until they meet their baby girl — their Avery. "What're you thinking about?" Castle asks. "Avery." She responds. He smiles as he brushes her hair behind her ear, "Yeah? What about her?" He asks her.
     "Who she'll look like. Who she'll be like." "And?" "I think she'll look just like you and have my personality." Beckett answers, "I think she'll look just like her Mama." "No, I want her to have your eyes and smile." "Well maybe I want her to have your eyes and smile." He argues. She rolls her eyes, "Why do you always argue with me?" She laughs. He leans down and kisses her shoulder, "Keeps our marriage interesting." He tells her. She turns on her side and pulls him down to her, "Know what else keeps our marriage interesting?" She asks.
     He drags her to their room where they spend the next several hours until they have to get ready for dinner. Castle walks out of the bathroom, buttoning his cuff links as he watches his wife fasten her earrings. She's in a beautiful, one shoulder lavender dress and her hair is pulled up into a ponytail. "You look exquisite." He says as he walks up to stand behind her. Beckett's hands join his on her bump, "Thank you. You look very handsome yourself." She says. She turns and hold up the necklace he gave her earlier. "Put it on me?" She asks.
     He turns her back around and latches the necklace around her neck before spinning her and kissing his lips, "I love you." He whispers, "I love you too." She smiles. "Ready to go eat, my love?" "As ready as I'll ever be." And just like that, they walk arm-in-arm downstairs to the car service which will take them to her Mother' Day dinner.
Part 23! Check my announcements for a surprise!