Chapter 1 'Maybe it Won't Be So Bad'

"Are you excited?" My mom asked for what felt like the hundredth time since we arrived in Midnight Creek.

"Yeah," I lied. "I think that it'll be good." Another lie. I did not want to be here in this small, middle-of-nowhere town, it was really the last place that I wanted to be. But that wasn't really an option right now, all I could do was grit my teeth and lie.

"I know that it's not the same as back home," my mom sighed. "But I really do think that you'll learn to love it here. I didn't grow up here, but the way your grandma used to talk about this town I feel like I did."

Ever since my dad passed away almost a year ago my mom hasn't been the same. And neither have I. Everything just feels so hollow and empty without him here, like a part of my heart is forever going to be missing. But my mom needed this, she needed this change and a chance to start over again.

"At least we don't have to worry about traffic anymore," I joked, trying to lighten up the mood. "Or Ernie from across the street."

"Oh, I don't know, I think that I'll miss Ernie and the way he always insisted on getting his morning paper in that rope," my mom laughed.

"Well, that makes one of us."

"And this is us," my mom announced pulling up in front of the last house in the cul-de-sac.

The house was dark blue and huge. There was just no other way to put it. It looked like a mansion compared to our old condo back in the city. It was covered in huge windows and even had a small flower garden at the very front.

"It's beautiful," I breathed. "I thought that you said no one's been living here for years though? The house looks like it's in perfect shape."

My mom handed me one of the cardboard boxes out of the back of the car. "No one has as far as I know. Maybe your grandma hired a company to take care of the house? I never could get a straight answer out of her in her last few years. She was always mumbling about Midnight Creek and how she missed it."

"Why'd she move away in the first place?" As far as I knew grandma moved out of Midnight Creek when she graduated high school and never came back. I was surprised to hear that she still owned a house here after so many years. Not even my mom had been here.

"She wanted a change of scenery. Always told me that she was a city girl at heart growing up and that they couldn't wait to get out of here," my mom said a little too quickly.

"But she kept the house?" I echoed just as confused as before. "Why?"

"Probably just couldn't bear to sell it after her parents passed away. Too many memories."

The inside of the house was just as beautiful as the outside. There were dark hardware floors everywhere and not a cobweb or a speck of dust in sight.

My room was the second door on the left and absolutely amazing. It was painted a light blue colour and even had a walk-in closet. There was a small balcony that overlooked the forest behind the house and I could already tell this area would become my new favourite place to read when it was nice out. The room itself was huge and had a king-sized four-post bed in the center, just across from my new closet. There was even an old vanity pushed up against the far right wall, in short, it was the perfect room. Even the upstairs bathroom was next door, and because the master bedroom had its own joined bathroom, this one was mine. Another bonus.