Chapter 31 'Mr. Davis' Special Guest'

"Why didn't you tell me any of this before?" I snapped at Andrew. "Why didn't you warn me?"

I was angry and fed up and sick and tired of all these stupid secrets that everyone I knew seemed to be keeping from me.

     I mean, did I just have a big sign taped to my back that said 'Lie to me! Everyone else is!' Because honestly, that's what it felt like.

Andrew glanced over at the closed door Mr. Davis just walked out of and then back to me again. "I tried," he said. "I tried to warn you that Xavier and his friends were bad news, Addie. But you didn't listen."

"Wait. . ." I said flashing back to that one Friday that felt like a million weeks ago now. "You said that you were going to show me something about Xavier after school that day, but when I went to meet you. . . You were gone."

"It wasn't my choice," he said so quietly I wasn't sure that I even heard him.

"What do you mean? What wasn't your choice?"

     I also officially hated vague answers.

Andrew glanced over at the closed door again. "It isn't safe to talk here."

"It's not safe here period!" I practically spat out. "What difference does any of that make?"

"It means that I can't tell you the truth about why I had to ditch you that Friday," he said to me while keeping his eyes glued to the door. "Not here and not now."

"What? Are you worried that Mr. Davis is going to come barging back in here and hear you talking to me? Worried that he'll think we're friends?" I spit the word out like it was poison in my mouth.

"I'm worried that if they heard me talking to you that they'll kill you right here and now," Andrew said in a rushed whisper, his words hard.

     I felt my body go still.

     ...kill me?

     They weren't going to kill me... were they?

     I just—I mean, I guess that I didn't think that they would. I figured that they would hurt me, I mean, I was tied up right now and kidnapped, but kill me?

     I thought that they were some sort of supernatural protectors. How was killing some pen protecting?

     What was it that Mr. Davis had said a few moments ago? An eye for an eye? A soulmate for a soulmate?

     Was he going to kill me in front of Xavier and everyone else while all they could do is watch helplessly? Or was he going to make him choose? His pack or me?

     Xavier would choose me...right?

     ...right?...

     Andrew could clearly see the colour draining out of my face as I finally started to put the puzzle pieces together and understand that I was about to be killed.

     "Hey," Andrew said in a gentle tone, sushing me repeatedly. "You can't think about that right now, Addie. You need to put all of those thoughts out of your head, ok? Breath with me — in, hold, and out, good job. Listen to my voice and follow my words."

     I followed Andrew's breathing instructions without even really thinking. If I started to I would have a full-on panic attack.

     Anything was better to think about than dying right now.

     Breathe in, hold, breathe out. Breathe in, hold, breathe out.

     I repeated those steps over and over until I didn't feel like I was about to pass out anymore.