Chapter 14 'Friends?'

No one showed back up again until Friday. And no one besides Ivy even answered my texts.

     From: Ivy

          Hey girl! I'm so sorry but I'm gonna be out this week :( There's this stupid cold being passed            around my family and of course, I got it and then gave it to Gray who gave it to Gray who                 gave it to everyone else so we're all sick now lol

     At least I had Andrew. After our impromptu ditch day and date on Monday, we've been having lunch together and hanging out after school every day. And because of Ivy and Mark's almost week-long absence from class, Mr. Davis is just letting us have a free period basically.

     And of course, Andrew and I spent all of English class talking and flirting. We even made more plans to finally hang out this weekend, both of our fingers were crossed that Andrew could actually make it this time.

     As always it was raining here in Midnight Creek when I got to school this morning and forgot to grab my coat before running out my front door also. So now my hoodie was stuck to my skin and I was freezing. 

     "Ugh," I mumbled to myself as I pushed through the school's door. "I miss living somewhere where I never had to bother with a rain jacket or an umbrella."

     "Wow," a voice chuckled from behind me. "Ever heard of an umbrella?"

     I whipped my head around to see none other than Xavier leaning against a row of lockers behind me. Dry as a bone of course and not dripping wet like me.

     "Hi," I tried to say casually. But I'm pretty sure that it came out more annoyed than anything. 

     Xavier looked completely taken back by my reaction; hurt spread across his face more than anything else. 

     "I'm really sorry that I had to run so abruptly on Saturday," Xavier apologized.  "I just had something, uh, super important and last minute come up and I had to leave."

     "Is your grandpa ok?" I asked. 

     "What?" Xavier said confused. "My. . .oh!"

     "You said that you had to leave because your grandpa fell down and then Ivy texted me saying that you were all sick," I explained. "Unless that was a lie?" I raised an eyebrow at him. 

     "No!" Xavier shouted, pushing himself off of the lockers. "No, it wasn't a lie."

     I wasn't fully convinced that he was telling me the whole truth at all, but right now I was dripping wet and didn't feel like talking to him anymore at all.

     "Addie!" Ivy yelled out before crashing into me and almost knocking me to the floor. "I missed you."

     "How come I never get this kind of greeting when I haven't seen you for a while?" Grayson's amused voice piped up.