𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝟯

Apparently it was a group of normie kids who rigged the dance. They put red paint in the fire extinguisher sprinklers' system. Said it was to get back at 'us' for whatever it was they thought we did. At least that's what I heard. Rumours aren't always reliable. And that was a terrible excuse for ruining my perfect dress.

But now it was parents weekend. I must admit, I'm not entirely excited to see my family again. I do love them, just not how well they take me dating anyone. I'm nervous, to say the least. A ding sounded on my phone next to me and I picked it up. It was my mother, "almost there, honey. Can't wait to see you!" I typed back, "okay see you soon :)". Nerves buzzed under my skin at the prospect of my parents meeting everyone, especially Kent.

It wasn't that I didn't think they would like him, they were just very picky with who their only daughter dates. I don't think they've both accepted a partner I've had. Regardless, I got out of bed and had a shower. No point in procrastinating in my bed. Divina had gotten up and left earlier, she wanted to go for a swim, so I was alone.

Choosing to put off getting dressed until later, i traipsed down the hall to Kent's room. He would probably be still asleep or out with Divina. I hoped it wasn't the latter. I made it to his door and opened it, walking in. Luckily, there he was. Face down in his bed, arms and legs splayed like a starfish. I tiptoed over to his bed, and lifted up his arm. I slipped into the bed under him and shuffled around to get comfortable. He wrapped his arms around my torso on instinct when I settled.

Kent turned his head to face mine and slowly blinked into reality. "Morning." He mumbled out to me. "Morning, love. You ready to meet my parents?" His head shot up at that. "What?" I grinned a little at his expression. "It's parents weekend. My family is coming in. I would assume yours is too?" "Uhhh, maybe? I dunno, ask Div." he plopped his head down on my shoulder. I reached up to hold him, play with his hair.

He was nervous and I knew it. "I'm sure they'll like you." I whispered down to him. A low grumble reverberated through my body from where his head lay on my shoulder. We stayed like that for what felt like a while, until Divina walked into the room making it well known we had to get ready for the parents. Their family was coming too, so now I was nervous.

——

We were in full uniform almost an hour later, standing near the entrance to Nevermore. Multiple cars had pulled into the long stretch of driveway, but none of which were our two families. Soon a black car drove in, and to me it looked like any other vehicle, but it has to be Kent and Divina's parents because they got excited and rushed forward when it pulled in. I was still holding Kent's hand so I was pulled with him when they went to greet them.

I stood back, slightly behind Kent when their parents stepped out. I didn't want to intrude on their first reunion in a while. Then Kent turned to me and beckoned me forward. His arm snaked around my waist as he introduced me. "Mom, dad, this is Jaden. She is my girlfriend." I put on a polite smile and stuck my hand out to shake. "It's so nice to meet you, Mr. Fisher, Mrs. Fisher." His mom reacted first with a huge smile. "Oh it's lovely to meet you darling. We've heard so much about you from Kent."

I blushed at her words, and looked up at Kent who was also a shade of pink. He muttered a small, embarrassed 'mom!', and I grinned down at how nice their family was. The dad hadn't spoken much but he'd shaken my hand and nodded at me. We went inside for their parents to get settled and find a seat, and my parents still hadn't shown up. I wasn't worried, our home was five hours away and they had texted me this morning telling me they were coming.

Kent's mom sidled up to me when the twins were talking to their dad. "Are your parents coming, dear?" "They should be. I talked to them earlier and they did say they were on their way." We all hung around the food table until a couple walked through the archway leading to the quad. I turned around to see who they were and my face lit up with excitement when I saw their faces. "Mom! Dad! You made it!" I collided with them both after running over there, and they both hugged me right.

"Of course we made it! Couldn't wait to see you, J." I led them over to where Kent and Divina were with their parents. "Ok, so mom, dad, this is Kent, Divina and their parents." I introduced them to everyone and they shook hands. I eyed their interaction with Kent, nervous at how they would react but he was the perfect gentleman. "Lovely to meet you Mr. King, Mrs. King." You could tell my mother was liking how nice he was.

I went over to where they stood; Kent and my parents. "So, Kent is my boyfriend." The words tumbled out of my mouth, and I prepared for looks of disdain from both my parents, but instead they had smiles adorning their faces. "This is the best one yet, honey." Mom grinned at me, and I mentally slapped myself at her wording. "Mom that sounds wrong. I've only ever dated like, three other guys, and they were normies."

My dad was more subtle, he patted Kent's back and gave an amicable, "nice to meet you, son." Principal Weems entered then with some other teachers and stood to a microphone to give a speech. "Never more was created as a safe haven for our children to learn and to grow, no matter who or what they are." The parents applauded her charisma, and she continued.

"I realise most of you have heard about the unfortunate incident involving one of our students. But I'm happy to report that Eugene is on the mend and is expected to make a full recovery. So let's focus on the positive and make this parents' weekend our very best yet." I had no idea who Eugene was or what happened, but the families standing before the principal seemed to and they bought her story of 'on the mend.'

We all went to sit at the table, both our families, and talked amongst ourselves until the sheriff walked through the doors with multiple officers in tow. "What is this about, sheriff?" He didn't answer. His eyes were trained on the back of Wednesdays father. "Gomez Addams."

"What can I help you with, sheriff?" "You're under arrest for the murder of Garrett Gates. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you." And just like that he was marched out of the school. Wednesday and her mother sat there, unmoving and, in Wednesday's case, unblinking. Just staring after their husband and father.