Chapter 1. The unknown doors

Abuela was sitting in her room, looking at old portraits in her photo album. All of a sudden, she saw one she didn't expect. The only thing she expected less was the grief and regret she felt after seeing that picture.

It was made just a few days before Mirabel's gift ceremony. In the picture, Luisa held up her tío Bruno, who held up Isabela, who held little Mirabel up with vines of different flowers. They were all smiling, even Bruno, whose smile was a rare sight.

- Such a happy memory... - Abuela thought to herself and smiled, feeling sad, maybe even miserable for a second. - No! You left this familia years ago. I'm not responsible for your decisions! - She huffed furiously, attempting to avoid the grief she was already experiencing.

She suddenly heard mumbling so loud that it was audible even in her room. When she went outside to see what was going on, she saw her family, who appeared to be worried and shocked.

- What is the meaning of... - but she didn't finish her sentence. She was in a state of shock. For a moment, even her heart stopped.

She saw something she didn't expect. Two glowing doors, but for whom?

Everyone was speechless. There were young Madrigals, but they either already had gifts or were too young to receive one. Mirabel? No. One of the doorknobs had an "L" on it, and the other had a "D." But, who could have a door when everyone already has a room?

Something that the family had no idea of was that Abuela had known about one of the doors for years. She kept it a secret, but as soon as the second one came, Casita seemed to have had enough of it.

Did Casita have a feeling that it was finally time to reveal new Madrigals, never known to the family?

The night of Antonio's ceremony

The Madrigal family woke up to a special day. Since Antonio, the youngest Madrigal grandchild, had reached the age of 5, it was time for him to receive his gift.

Everyone was preparing for the night, but at the same time, everyone was worried about Antonio. The last gift ceremony was a smaller catastrophe, where the second-youngest Madrigal, Mirabel, didn't get a gift. Except for them, everybody in the family had a gift. So obviously, Mirabel was only known for not being special.

Since she was normal, nobody asked for her help. It meant two things. She was constantly offering help, then getting rejected, and she almost only had free time. Her only chores were around the house, but she did them together with her padre and tío Félix, so they were always quickly done. Cleaning a house that keeps itself clean is not that hard.

Some say she was mostly in the way, especially Abuela. She was really harsh on her. As if she wasn't part of the family. Mirabel was trying to help and be part of the Madrigal family until one day she suddenly stopped.

No more offering help, no more trying, no more being in the way... No more being around.

- Antonio! Antonio, where are you? - Peppa yelled, looking for her youngest hijo.

- Peppa! You have a cloud! - Abuella yelled at her hija, frustrated.

- I know, mama! But now I can't find Antonio! What do you want from me? - she yelled back at her madre. Meanwhile, Mirabel suddenly appeared next to Abuela.

- Mirabel!

- Sí, Abuela? - Mirabel looked up at her grandmother with a strained smile that somehow still held hope. Abuela was so distracted by the preparations, that she didn't even notice how sad and distracted her nieta was behind her smile.

- Listen here! Just for one night, don't be in the way, okay? I know that you want to help, but not tonight. - Abuela said, fixing some flowers on the wall, not even glancing at her. Mirabel only looked at her, releasing some small tears. – Tonight is important. Everything has to be perfect. So leave it to us, okay?

- Sí Abuela. - and she slowly started walking towards her room.

- Ma, don't be so hard on Mirabel. You know that tonight will be very difficult for her - Julieta said to her mother with a worried face.

- If tonight's ceremony doesn't go according to plan, tonight will be hard for all of us. - Abuela replied, not noticing Mirabel was still listening to their conversation.

She walked into her room and opened her drawer, revealing a blue box decorated with animals. She sat down on her bed and started to play with the ribbon on top of the gift.

- Everyone's looking for you! - she stayed quiet for a few seconds. - This present will self-destruct if you don't take it in three...twooo....ooone - suddenly, a small hand took it from under the bed. Mirabel smiled, then crawled under the bed as well.

- Nervous? - Mirabel asked her little primo, Antonio, who was hiding there.

- Mhh... – was his response, and he looked away in the other direction.

- You have nothing to worry about. You're gonna get your gift and open that door, and it's gonna be the coolest ever. I know it.

- What if it doesn't work? - Antonio asked Mirabel, with a worried face.

- Well, in that impossible scenario, you stay here in the nursery with me. FOREVER! And I get you all to myself. - Mirabel chuckled while she said that, as well as Antonio.

They had a very special bond. They've been roommates ever since Antonio was born. Mirabel has been worried about him since then. If he doesn't get a gift tonight, he'll have to go through all the things she had to. Or maybe he'll be talented enough at something that Abuela will notice.

- I wish you could have a door. - Antonio said, knowing how hard the last 10 years must have been for his cousin.

- You know what, - Mirabel replied, - you don't have to worry about me, couse I have an amazing family, and an amazing house, and an amazing you. And seeing you, get your special gift and your door, that's gonna make me way more happy than anything. - she smiled, conforting her primo, and in the main time, conforting herself. - But at last, I am gonna miss the world's best roomie. - she said while looking at the blue box.

Antonio opened the box and saw a handmade Jaguar plush. He held it up, examining it.

- I know you're an animal guy - Mirabel said - and I made this, so when you move into your cool new room, you'll always have something to snuggle with.

Antonio rested his head on Mirabel's shoulder, imitating a hug as a thank you.

They shared this moment silently, until Casita started moving the floor tiles. An alarm clock appeared in front of them, showing it was already 7 pm.

Mirabel looked at the clock with side eyes. - Alright, you ready? - she asked, looking at her primo. Antonio nodded. - Sorry, I goota get one more skuise. - She hugged Antonio, and Casita hinted, by rolling them out from under the bed, that it was time to go.