Chapter 18. Only five questions for Mariposa

The Madrigals had no clue what had happened in the past two hours. They just learned that Mirabel has been running under the name "Mariposa" for the past ten years. She works as a seamstress and lives with Muerte, Dulce, and Leilah in the forest, who are healers. Well, Dulce is five, but she's also working on it.

Oh, and by the way, Muerte is a witch. Yup. So the Madrigals were confused.

- Shouldn't we search for Luisa before we go? – Antonio asked, while they were walking in the jungel, towards Muerte's house.

- Nope. – Muerte said. – You see those flower petals? They mean Mariposa brought home a friendly visitor. – she pointed at some pink flower petals - Before the Día de los Muertos, she always has more work to do, so no random visitors. But a long time without seeing hermana is a good exception. – Muerte only smiled. – It's a code language we invented when setteling to be safe.

- Nah. If it's really her sister, she followed her. – Leilah added – No way she would let anyone visit now.

- She didn't like the fairy appearing either. – Dulce added, clinging onto Leilah's skirt.

As they reached their house, the Madrigals were amazed. The house was far from as big as Casita, but it still had an impressive size. It was shining in the colors of green, pink, blue, and yellow. The walls were covered with murals of animals, flowers, and people.

The Madrigals instantly recognized themselves on one. Everyone was there: Julieta, Agustin, Peppa, Félix, Isa, Luisa, Camilo, Dolores, Antonio, Abuela, even Bruno and Abuelo Pedro in one big picture.

But no Mirabel.

She was there on another mural, way away from the Madrigal's mural. She was painted on the main entrance.

It was a mural showing Leilah, Dulce, Muerte, and Mariposa. They were all doing something specific. Muerte was using a mortar, most likely preparing herbs for medicine; Leilah was playing a guitar; Dulce had some colorful paper decoration in her hands; and lastly, there was Mirabel, aka Mariposa, playing on a green accordion.

She seemed happy, with a genuine, calm smile.

It was way prettier and more natural than what they created on the nursery's door.

As they stepped into the house right away, they found a crying Luisa hugging an equally crying Isabela, and between them, a pissed Mirabel, who was clearly annoyed with the situation. As soon as she noticed the others and the amount of food Muerte had in her basket, she was just more annoyed.

- Seriously, Em? Did we need this? – Mirabel asked Muertre.

- Hola, Mariposa! – Dulce waved to Mirabel, ignoring the tall lady hugging her.

- Yes. - Muerte answered - Maybe you two will finally learn to listen to me once. – she turned to the kitchen, which was in the same room but separated by an embroidered curtain. – Where did you find her, by the way?

- She followed me home. – Mirabel said, annoyed with Muerte's little game.

- YES! I told you! – Leilah yelled cheerfully.

- Before you guys say anything, - she looked at her family - I'm not going back. LUISA! – Mirabel yelled, then took a deep breath - Please! I can't breathe!

- Sorry, Mira. – Luisa lovered Mira and Isa. The others were in shock. As she was on the ground, the family finally saw a grown-up Mirabel in her full form.

Her hair was just a bit shorter, with bangs and a loose braid on her left side. She wore a blueish-teal shirt with a white collar. Her skirt had a more greenish teal color, and she wore a brown corset-like belt and matching high-heeled boots. Her iconic green glasses were missing and were replaced with yellow ones.

Isabella looked different as well. She wore a dark blue skirt with a white shirt with embroidered flowers, matching the skirt, and a dark blue jacket with patches saying different things. It didn't seem like it belonged to her. She had her straight hair in a messy bun, held up by small white and indigo flowers.

- Why didn't you tell me your real name is Mirabel? – Leilah yelled, snapping everyone else out of shock.

- Because anytime me and your mother had a fight, she always called me that. And Isabela has been here for a week, calling me that. - she turned to Antonio and Camilo, and she put up her left hand, showing her five fingers. - For you guys, there are five questions you can ask. This includes you two as well. – she turned to her hermanas.

- Five?

- Four left.

- You have been living here all this time? – Camilo asked.

- No. We seteled five years ago. We traveled around until then. Three left.

- Why did you leave? – Antonio asked.

- I left a letter; I'm sure you read it. Two left. – Mirabel started to get more annoyed.

- Did you consider how we would feel? – Luisa asked, still sobbing.

- You already asked it, and as I said, I didn't even think you guys would notice it for about three days, or until no one sets the table for breakfast. One question remains.

- You know that Muerte invited us for dinner, right? – Camilo asked the final question.

- Figured. It wouldn't be her. No questions are left. Leilah, please help me harvest some tomatoes for dinner. – and with that, they left the room, ignoring Araya's presence and leaving more questions than what had been answered. Dulce followed them, eager to help.

Something that wasn't unnoticed was the fact that Mirabel was clearly limping, but she left the room in such a hurry that nobody could say anything. The last thing they saw was her lighting a pipe, taking one sip, and blowing out some smoke.

It was now Isabela's turn to go down. The family was not happy that she left without any explanation. They were almost angrier than when Mirabel left.

- Were you out of your mind? What were you thinking? You could have gotten hurt!

- I did find her! So the reason for the travel is already fulfilled. – Isabela faugt back with an awkward smile on her face, pulling her neck between her shoulders in embarrassment.

- She was brought here unconcerned. - Muerte yelled from the background, making everyone go into "worry for family" mode.

- Thank you, Emmanuela. You are really helping. – Isa answered, surprising everyone.

- Emmanuela? Isn't her name Muerte? – Camilo asked.

- It is. But it's kind of like a "priestress name" or what. I don't know why she wants me to call her by her real name, though.

- Everyone is allowed to call me Emmanuela. I just wanted to make sure you are actually Mariposa's family. – she yelled from behind the curtains.

- Did you tell them about the vision? – Antonio whispered to Isa, remembering the parts involving Emmanuela.

- No. I couldn't find the right words. How am I supposed to tell them that Emmanuela's going to get hurt, and somehow, her daughters have doors at Casita, even though her only connection to the family is that she lives with Mirabel? – Isa whispered, making sure they wouldn't hear, not knowing what to do.

At that moment, a short woman walked through the door with a big box of potatoes. He seemed surprised at how many people were in the house, arguing with Isabella.

- Uhm... Sugarcube? What is going on? – Jo asked Isabella, confused.

- „Sugarcube?" Who is this? – Luisa asked, pointing at the short one, switching into "overprotective sister" mode.