Chapter 13. The secret trip

Jo was helping his mother in the kitchen, just like every evening. It was a peaceful one. Maybe the most peaceful in a while.

- Tell me, mi vida, when will I meet that special girl you always talk about? – Jo's madre asked.

- I'm going to talk about it with her. But I'm not sure if she is as serious as she seems. – Jo expressed his fear to his mother.

He knew Isabela always left before dawn. He wasn't sure if the pure girl he fell for was really the angel he thought she was.

All of a sudden, he heard knocking on the window. When he checked who it was, he was surprised to see her.

- Isabela? What a surprise! You are early today.

- Hey, can I come in? I won't stay long. – Isabela seemed sad and in a hurry.

- Wait a minute! – Jo surprised Isa with a shocked tone – We're on the second floor! How were you able to knock on the window? – To his surprise, vines of different flowers held Isabela in his home.

She was wearing a lilac dress decorated with flowers, and a pink shawl covered her arms. They were rather traditional compared to her usual clothes. He never saw her wear anything like that.

- I came to say goodbye. I'm leaving. There is a small chance that my hermana is in Anhelaba Esperanza. If she's there, I... – for a moment, Isabela stayed silent - I don't know what I will say. – Isa covered her face with her hands and started to cry. She was obviously sad and filled with guilt.

- Isa... What's going on? What is this? – Jo asked her, pointing at the vines, worried and still confused after what he just saw.

- Well... My family has a special magic. Every family member of mine has a gift. I can grow different plants for almost anything I want. The only exception is my little sister, Mirabel; she didn't get one. That's why she ran away. She had enough of the shame and all the scoldings for stuff that wasn't even her fault, and I'm also to blame because I was a horrible big sister. – by the end, her cry had become stronger and louder. It was the first time she truly talked about her feelings. Everyone knew that this might be the reason, but she never said anything.

- How long have you been holding it? – he asked, holding one of her hands and swiping a tear away from her face.

- Always. – Isa muttered, crying.

- Since you guys have such a long journey ahead of you, you should have dinner first. – Senora Marquez said, standing at the door after listening to the whole conversation.

- Mama! Were you spying on us?

- Since it's not an everyday event that somebody knocks on one of the windows on the second floor, I thought it might be interesting. – she expressed her feelings with a judgeful attitude.

Isabela had a breaf laugh at the situation. She wasn't used to such a funny argument between family members.

- Anyways, it's amazing to finally meet you, Isabela. – Senora Marquez changed to a more cheerful tone.

She seemed truly happy that her kid had finally found someone to hopefully move out with. She did love her darling, but she also kind of had enough of him. I mean, he was already in his early thitys.

- What do you mean she's been sneaking out for ten years? With a man? Why didn't you tell us? – Luisa asked, freaking out.

- Yeah! Were you out of your mind? – Camilo continued.

- Now it's starting to get interesting. – Araya aded, laughing and smiling.

- Calm down! Jo couldn't hurt a fly. Though I'm not really sure if he's a guy. He was kind of feminine a lot of the time. Maybe he's actually a girl? Doesn't matter. Besides, we know where she went! I stay with the kids, so you guys can go after her. – Dolores explained, rushing them. She was extremely worried. It seemed Isabela wandered way too far to be heard by Dolores.

- Okay but how do we start? We need a map, food, maybe a caravan? – Bruno asked – And who leaves? Is it okay to only leave Dolores? – he started to visibly get nervous – Maybe I should stay too. I'm not really... well... in my twenties.

- We're leaving tonight! If we're fast enough, no one notices! Especially if Dolores covers for us. – Luisa declared. – We eat less at lunch and dinner, so we can take the leftovers.

Everyone was stearing at Luisa. She was right, now or never.

At the lunch and dinner tables, everyone was quiet. Julieta did notice that they were eating suspiciously less. Especially at diners.

- My stomach hurts a little. – Camilo said, realizing Julieta suspects something and stearing at him.

This did not convince her, though. But she couldn't think. She was worried for Isabela and kept an eye on Luisa. She knew she would leave. It was only a matter of time before she goes after her sister.

After dinner, as Antonio and Camilo wanted to take the leftovers, they found Julieta cooking and Augustin next to her.

- Bring them home. – she said, with a sad tone in her voice and tears in her eyes.

- Tía... – Antonio looked at her. Julieta knew exacly that they were going to follow Isabela.

She handed them a big bag of durable food and a sad yet warm and loving smile.

- Make sure you all get home safe. – Agustin told the boys. – And bring all my daughters back, please. – he placed his hands on his sobrinos' shoulders.

- Yes tío! Yes tía! – the boys said in sink.

- You don't take Dolores, right? – Julieta asked, changing to a serious tone, giving a glare to the boys. - The little ones need their mother.

- Nope. – Camilo had a fast reply, scared a bit. – But her hearing got better. She will follow our voices all along, making sure we're fine. – this made Julieta calm down a little.

Maybe she will even see Mirabel again, just for once. But for her, knowing she has a new family, one that loves her as much as she does, would be enough after all these years.