Chapter 6. I made up my mind

The night before

The picture was perfect. Everyone showed their gifts and how amazing they are. The perfect consolation that is the Madrigal family. Everyone was so proud of Antonio. It was his big day, and his gift was perfect for him, for the community, and for Encanto. He could understand any animal that crossed his path. This seemed to be a fun and useful gift.

However, the night wasn't so perfect for everyone.

Nobody noticed how Mirabel tried to get in front of the crowd and only managed when the picture was already taken. She only stared at them.

Not a word. No sound. Only a painful sigh.

- [Again.] – she thought, – [As if they wanted to make leaving them behind easier.]

As Mirabel stepped out of Antonio's cool, new room, Casita instantly tried to show her back. No matter how hard Casita tried, Mirabel reached the nursery.

- I know Casita, but I made up my mind! – Mirabel looked around the nursery. Now that Antonio was gone, it was as lonely as it had ever been. It seemed smaller than ever, yet internally huge and empty, more childish than ever.

The room was never intended to house a fifteen-year-old teen. It was designed to host kids up to the age of five. The wallpaper, the beds, everything.

About the beds, they were way too small for Mirabel. She wasn't tall or anything; she was just a teenager. And she was still growing. After a while, she had to adapt to sleeping in a tight space, often having her legs in the air during her sleep.

She took off her white shirt and teal skirt and put on different clothes. A white shirt, one with buttons on the top, and teal trousers. She quickly tied her hair up in two pigtails with red ribbons. She topped it off with a teal vest, similar to her trousers, and a hat. No embroidery or decor, just as everyday and ordinary as she was.

She looked like someone else. Perfect. If by another miracle they decide to follow her, they'll have no idea about her clothes and pigtails. She always hated to wear trousers and pigtails. Nobody would think it was her.

She carefully placed her specially embroidered clothes in a drawer of the wardrobe, hoping they'd be safe. Maybe someone else will find use of it in the future.

She took a handmade bag out of the closet, placing it on her bed. No, not her bed. A kid's bed.

The bag has been prepped for a while now. Her favorite clothes were all in it, except the ones she wore today. She needed something special to wear on Antonio's big day.

She climbed onto her desk... No, not her desk. And from the top of the closet, she took down an old map from the 19th century. She highly hoped it was still accurate.

- You think they will mind in the library? It hasn't been used for fifty years. – she asked Casita but got no answer. – I understand Casita. But for once, I have to put myself first. Just this once. – she hesitated for a second as a thought crossed her mind - You think they will act the same, like when tío Bruno left? – she asked Casita. She just knew if she left, she wouldn't be welcomed back.

She placed the envelope containing her goodbye letter under the old bed, which she made sure would be clean before she left. She walked down to the kitchen, collecting as much food as she could fit in her already full bag.

Mirabel stepped closer to the door, placing one hand on the wall. She glanced back at the house she grew up in.

- It's the last time. Keep everyone safe, please.

Casita tried to encourage her to stay once more, with little to no success. It was almost like Casita knew Mirabel wouldn't be happy here. Maybe she will come back in time, but now is not her time.

Mirabel slowly walked down the empty streets of Encanto, lit by candles all over in celebration of Antonio's birthday. Everyone was in his room; nobody noticed her.

As she reached the bridge on the edge of town, she glanced back once again. It was almost as if she was waiting for someone to stop her, notice she was gone, and encourage her to stay.

She couldn't help but wonder if Dolores could hear her leave, and she lets her go on purose.

As she reached the forest, the night became darker and blurrier. She was silently crying as she walked slowly, reaching the mountains. She started counting in her mind after seeing a stone with a jaguar painted on it.

As she reached one hundred, she glanced at a tree next to her. She climbed on top of it, looking at Encanto. Beautiful fireworks were forming over Casita.

- [If I do it, there is no turning back.] – Mirabel thought.

She looked at Casita. She remembered all the things she had gone through. She knew it could be worse. She knew the world was not just puppies and sunshine; some people had it worse, but still. Maybe even her family will be happier without the burden that she is.

She took a deep breath and walked on a thick branch. She closed her eyes, and she stepped down.

She was falling. She landed on some pillows she had prepared a while ago to protect herself. She was still scared, no matter how many times she tested if she could get back to Encanto, in case she changed her mind.

Falling was the most comfortable way to reach the cave system she was in. It was possible to reach it from the ground, but it left more scars thanks to the vegetation around. Since she had only a limited amount of her mother's food, she needed to save it for later.

Before she realized it, she reached the escape. The only path between Encanto and the outside world. The entrance was well hidden. If she wasn't the one to come out, she wouldn't find it.

As she was walking for about half an hour, she came across a river, which was as special as nothing she had ever seen before. It was pink and orange. She felt something strange that she had never felt before. It was something like hope, but not quite. It was different, but in a good way.

For a second, she could have sworn Abuelo Pedro himself hugged her, saying goodbye.

How sad. The only one she feels cares enough to say goodbye is someone who's not even alive.

All of a sudden, a yellow butterfly flew next to her. It landed on a marigold right in front of her. The butterfly took off in the direction of a path that, it seemed, nobody had used in a while. She decided to follow that path. Like it matters. Like her family will notice she is gone.

By that time, she didn't care. Her family did not like her being there. She tried. She wanted to help, but to no avail. She was a burden. A curse. A mistake. She was unworthy of a gift. Why stay, then?

It felt like she was going towards a better life. As if Abuelo gave her her own miracle of lacking the guilt and being rich in hope.