Chapter 12. Isabela's secret

The last one was an eventful day. Will they find Mirabel? Does she have a daughter? Who is that woman holding the candle? When can they go? Not everyone can go. Somebody must stay home.

- Where's Isabela? Isabela? Isabela! – the Madrigal kids heard Abuela search for her oldest nieta – Senora Guzman's gonna be here for lunch! You better come out, wherever you are! – the family couldn't understand. First the new door, but it did make sense that Isabela would hide from Abuela. It wouldn't be the first or last time. Their relationship sank a decade ago.

- What do you mean by "Where's Isabela?" Where would she be? She must be in her room. You know she sleeps in every day. – Julieta looked at her madre with fear in her eyes that she might lose another one of her hijas.

- She's not in her room! I can't find her! And Senora Guzman must be on her way by now!

The kids just listened. Did Isabela do it? Did she leave alone? As they discussed the issue, Dolores was suspiciously quiet.

10 years earlier

Dolores was walking in the woods. She had no idea where is she going; she just followed her voice. Until she catched up to her.

- Isabela? Where are you going? Or, I should rather ask, where have you been going in the past four months? – Dolores poped the question to her prima.

- Dolores... You knew all along, right? – Isabela looked at her with shame in her eyes.

- What are you wearing? – Dolores was surprised to see her perfect prima look like she was some kind of soldier or something, yet still perfect.

She wore some baggy overalls, a white shirt, a green jacket, boots that seemed like only Luisa could lift them, and a dark blue ribon in her hair, which she wore in a ponytail to keep the rest out of her face. Dolores never saw her like that.

- It...makes it easier to move around. And I guess you know exactly what I'm doing. – Isa finished her sentence by looking at the ground.

- I am going with you! – Dolores said without hesitating.

- What? No! – Isabela answered her prima's words. – It's really different from Encanto. Maybe not that dangerous as Abuela said, but times changed the outside world. I'm not sure if you'd be able to take it in all at once.

- I am going with you! And I don't take a "no" for an answer. – Dolores cleared to Isa that she had no choice.

- Only this one time. And don't be surprised, we won't be alone.

As she finished her sentence, a huge tree grew under them, making Dolores forget Isabela's last words.

- Since when can you do anything like that? – Dolores asked Isa, with shock in her eyes.

- You see... when Mirabel left, I had a breakdown. So many things were going through my mind that night.

- I remember. You have never said such horrible things before. Like... about anything. I never expected you to have such thoughts about yourself. – Dolores looked at her prima, regretting she hadn't spoken about it to her before.

- So the thing is... I guess when I let my "unperfect" emotions come out, the "unperfect" parts of my power showed themselves. But it's cool, isn't it? – Isa said, with a wild and excited smile on her face.