Chapter 20. "I really have to finish that dress"

Finally, the mood started to get better. It wasn't the best, but it could still work out for the night.

Mirabel and Emmanuela were preparing dinner on the back porch. Some things they made were from Colombia, while others were from Mexico, Europe, while some were from Asia even. They were preparing for a true feast.

At some point, Mirabel started smoking from a pipe, staying away from food at the time. The smoke had a flowery scent to it, but it was smoke none the less, so it wasn't the most comforting smell either.

Leilah and Dulce were getting to know Camilo. They enjoyed watching him take on different shapes. Antonio and Araya joined the fun with Parce, making Camilo take on the forms of the Madrigal family members and introducing them to the girls.

From time to time, Mirabel took a look in their direction but looked away rather quickly. Each time she looked at them, seeing someone she hadn't seen in a decade, her heart started to ache more and more. In the end, as she walked back to help Emmanuela, they hugged tightly while still cooking, the tall woman clearly suiting her friend.

Meanwhile, Luisa, Isabela, and Jo discussed the matters of the vision. It was clear as day that Emmanuela will get hurt while her daughters had doors inside Casita.

- Wait... – Luisa said suddenly, shocked, obviously realizing a hurtful possibility. – What if... What if it means Emmanuela, she... – but she just couldn't bring herself to continue.

- She what? – Isa asked, looking at her sister, concerned.

- Doesn't survive... – Jo foinished his futur sister in law's words with a melancolic face.

Silence set in on the trio. Somehow, this idea didn't even occur to them until this moment. They're obviously close; what if Mirabel's not their mother yet?

- Dinner! – Emmanuela's kind voice was heard and snapped the trio back to reality.

They noticed that Mirabel was not only limping, but now she even had a walking cane with her. It was decorated with beautiful carvings and paintings. They got to know her so much that day, and they also did annoy her a lot, that they didn't want to bother her anymore.

Everyone gathered around a big table just off the porch. The Madrigals noticed Leilah coming with a big box filled with candels. Isabela looked at Jo, smiling, knowing what was going to happen.

- Please, everyone, light a candle. – Emmanuela said. – It's a tradicion in my family. When we have visitors or we visit someone, we each light a candle to show our whereabouts to our ancestors, who couldn't leave this world after Día de los Muertos, so they can stick with us until the next year.

Everyone took a mach and candel, except Dulce, who was too young to play with fire, but Isabela was staring at Mirabel with a big, proud, and excited smile. This made everyone stare at Mirabel in confusion. They noticed that Mirabel, Emmanuela, and not even Leilah took a mach. Instead, they all closed their eyes, taking deep breaths. It kind of looked like they were meditating.

They just wanted to ask them about it when Mirabel held the candel up to her lips. It looked like she wanted to blow it out, but instead, the candle lit itself, shocking the family. As Emmanuela and Leilah lit their candles the same way, they opened their eyes to see everyone shocked, except Jo and Isa, who got used to the unusual sight in the last week.

- Now please, take a seat everyone. – Emmanuela asked the visitors, who didn't dare to say a word. Her words snapped them out of it, but they were confused.