Chapter 23. A room filled with the dead

In the current days

Camilo had no idea where he was. He started wondering through the house, searching for the bathroom. The house was not bigger than Casita but had a way more confusing floor plan. Room after room, three bedrooms, a guestroom, four wards, and two office spaces.

As he was searching, he came across one room, surprising him. The room was filled with murals and pictures of at least two hundred people and some animals, including a donkey, birds, and a big dog. The room had multiple tables decorated with marigolds, both unlit and lighted candels, and skuls.

This sight did not surprise him after all that he experienced that day. The sight that surprised him was a mural of Pedro and Sierra Madrigal.

- You know them, right? – Emmanuela quietly walked in behind him. – He's your abuelo, sí?

- How do they get here? – Camilo asked, not able to take his eyes off Sierrah.

- You remember when I said I had predictions for the future?

- Aha – Camilo nodded to the question, still stearing at the mural.

I can see different things as well. – she walked right next to the young man, now also watching the murals of the room - Mostly, I just see things in my dreams, and they stick with me. It's actually hard to tell what's a dream and what's a vision.

- I still don't get it. Why are they here? – Camilo asked, not taking his eyes off of Sierra.

- These are the altars of the people from my old home. I felt like painting them here as well. Only later did Mariposa explain who they were. Mariposa said the man is Abuelo Pedro. About the girl... I'm sorry for your loss. Mariposa told me she was... close.

- She was family... – Camilo said, tears filling his eyes. – She's the madre of mi hija. – Emmanuela saw how distracted Camilo was at the sight of her.

- You can light her candle this year if you want. – Camilo looked at Emmanuela, confused. – It's our family's ofrenda. The altar we fill with offerings for our loved ones who are not with us anymore. I'm sure she would be happy to see you. – she said, placing one of her hands on Camilo's shoulder.

Camilo couldn't help but remember the day Sierra died. Not even Julietah's food could help. Sierra's pain tolerance was really low, making giving birth impossible. She couldn't bear it. It didn't help that their hija came a month earlier than expected.

Camilo bleamed himself. If they hadn't done stupid teen stuff, Sierra could still be here. But instead, a little girl was left, taking close to all the love Camilo had for his wife. Their hija, who got the name Sierra after her madre, was the one Camilo loved the most.

The painting made him realize what he left behind, even though he made sure to say goodbye to her and tell her how important she is.

- But, why are there so many people? There are at least two hundred different pictures and paintings. – Camilo asked, confused.

- Remember when you were surprised by the fact that my name is Muerte? I said it was based on my life story. I keep the whole village alive by remembering them in their deaths. If I die, they will all be forgotten. – at this point, the calm smile Emmanuela alw

10 years ago

It has been two weeks since Mariposa joined Muerte and her daughter, Leilah. Muerte tried to thank the stranger for saving her daughter by giving her a „place" to stay. Mariposa, on the other hand, didn't think of her act as heroism, only as what a normal human being would have done.

- Tance! Tance! Tance! – little Leilah yelled, beging her madre to play the violin once again tonight, together with their smaller dog, Elizabeth.

Muerte and Mariposa were sitting on a dried log. The old German sheperd rested her head on Mirabel's lap, soaking the girl's pure kindness and love in through her pets.

- I can't mi vída. I had a lot of patients today. I can't handle the violin once more; my hands just can't. – Muerte tried to calm her hija down.

- Acor! Acor! – Leilah insisted on hearing music once again today.

- The accordion? I can't even play it. Your abuelo played it. It's just in the caravan as a memory. – Muerte smiled in shame.

- An accordion? I can play that. – Mariposa surprised Muerte.

- You can? That too? Seriously? What can't you do? – a surprised Muerte asked Mariposa.

- Yeah. I tried a few things in my life. – Mariposa chuckled.

- Didn't you say you left because you „weren't special enough"? I've never met anyone who can do as many things as you can.

- These were... my attempts to be special. To make Abuela notice me as a part of the family. – Mariposa looked down for a second in shame. – Meh. You wanted music, didn't you? – Mariposa looked at Leilah with a grin.

- Tance! Tance! – Leilah cheared with Elizabeth running in circles, while Muerte got the accordion.

It was a green accordion with a yellow butterfly painted on the bellows. Muerte's padre played it when he was alive. For Muerte, it was one of the most important relics from her home. The fact that she let Mariposa play on it ment she trusts her.

Mariposa started playing while Leilah was dancing around the fire that Muerte used to cook the night's dinner. It was a fast song they had never heard before.

She brought it from Encanto. From her father.

- Muerte, can I have a personal question? – Mariposa asked, while still playing.

- Sí. Go on, – Muerte answered. – and I already told you to call me Emmanuela.

- Yeah, sorry. – a few moments of silence flowed – How did you guys get to this situation?

Emmanuela seemed a bit surprised, then unconfortable.

- It is a long story. But maybe I would feel better telling it to someone.