Chapter 8. After all these years (2/2)

It's been ten years since Mirabel left.

Antonio mostly forgot about her. Only the stories were left for him to remember. He had a few clear memories and his jaguar plush, but it was not much.

But his primas, hermana, and hermano were more than happy to have long conversations about his youngest prima. Though it always made everyone sad, how he could barely remember her, even though they had a special bond like no one else in the family.

After he got his gift, he became the new Bruno in the people's eyes. The gift could have been useful if people understood it. Antonio kept to himself and had mostly animal friends after his best friend left.

The only exception was Araya, or Araña, as everyone called her. She was also an outcast, being the weird, orphan Spider Lady. The Madrigal family kept her close since she was the only human Antonio made or kept friends with outside of them.

After Araya's Abuelita died a few years after meeting Antonio, she started going out more. She started a small jewelry bussiness, and giving acsessories made out of clay beads to everyone nice to her.

Despite being an outcast herself, her business went rather well. Not as well as it could have gone, but she was able to live off of it.

She was so close to Antonio that she was granted knowledge of Bruno's hiding place. The three of them had a small club. They were simply called the Outcasts. Their reunion had the symbol of a feather, which all three of them had braided in their hair.

Pepa secretly hoped Araya would end up being a member of the family one day, since they didn't see the chance with any other girl Antonio's age.

The family could not bring themselves to let anyone move into the nursery anymore. After Mirabel left, the new generations lived in their parents' rooms, until they reached the age of five.

The grandkids used the door of the nursery as a way to protest against Abuela. They painted Mirabel on it, wrote her name down, and gave her a big, friendly smile. They were all in it. No one snitched; even Casita liked the design, not letting anyone get rid of it.

They didn't dare say it in front of Abuela, but Julieta, Agustin, Pepa, and Félix all appreciated the new design. At least now Mirabel had her own door, even if she couldn't enjoy it herself.

Bruno once again had a family. He was happy; it wasn't perfect, but it was something. He had his sobrinos and sobrinas. Now it had been twenty years since he hadn't spoken to his hermanas or madre, and he missed them very much.

He wished he could have known Mirabel officially. He watched her grow up; he even felt connected to her as the other family weirdo, but still, he knew her the least. Still, he missed her dearly. He did lose his niece after all.

His rat telenovellas were a huge hit among the Madrigal „kids". Let's be honest; at this point only Antonio was a kid with his fifteen years. Camilo was the next-youngest after him, with his twenty-five years, and Isabela is still the oldest, with her thirty-one years.

But we can't leave out Dolores and Mariano's eight-year-old twin girls, their three-year-old hijo, and, of course, Aurora and Carlos, their two-month-old twins.

The older twins, Esme and Esther, had the gifts of a positive aura and opening portals. Esme was the unofficial favorite of Abuela Pepa, since there were almost no random storms after she got her gift.

Esther was a shy kid who already had work problems, just like her tía Luisa. Since her power was creating portals, she was basically the public transport.

Their hermano, Manolo's gift, was still awaited, alongside Aurora and Carlos'.

They weren't the only candidates to be part of the family. Camilo had a secret. He has been seeing a girl named Sierra Torres and did stupid teenage things. Long story short, Sierra got pregnant at the age of sixteen. Neither she nor Camilo's family were happy about it, but nothing could be done about it. Abuela made them get married, and Sierra moved into Casita way earlier than anyone else.

The sad part only awaits. When Sierra was in her seventh month, she went into labor and wasn't able to make it, leaving her hija in her padre's care.

The Torres family was so desperate that they left Encanto all together, leaving little Sierra behind, who got her name in memory of her madre.

The whole Madrigal family was surprised at how mature Camilo became, just at the age of sixteen, taking care of his daughter as any responsible adult would. He still had his funny personality, but he managed to make it funny in a dad-like way.

Abuela did not like Sierra for a long time. It wasn't until she got her gift that she could turn invisible. She became a useful member of the community.

She's the oldest Madrigal great-grandchild with her nine years, giving her a special title as Oscar, Esther, Esme, Carlos, and Aurola's big sister as well. She has more energy than anyone in all of Encanto.

Abuela tried to marry Isabela to other men as well, but it never ended the way she expected. Isa's cousins always saved her in case she felt uncomfortable with her current suitor.

Let's be honest, how ofthen does it happen that you really like the other side of an arranged marriage?

So long story short, she was still single after ten years. Abuela didn't like it, though. Their perfect flower would be the one to turn out as a loner?

Everyone did their jobs, but on Antonio's birthdays, which were also the anniversaries of Mirabel's disappearance, the grandkids always disappeared. They sneaked out of the village and into the forest around Encanto.

They snuck food at first, but the third time, Julieta prepared the food. She knew that they would celebrate somewhere else in private, so at least take the food without having to steal it.

They always took Bruno with them. It was the only time he was outside the house during the day. Those days were always the happiest but, at the same time, the saddest of the year.