Chapter Twenty: A Painful Scenario

Walking along with a little devil following behind wouldn't normally be such a good thing, but down here, and right now, it was certainly more easy-going than without him. His bubbly personality was always there, encouraging and listening, waiting and pursuing. While you would rather be back home, knowing you had such a good friend here would make it really hard to just leave him. Maybe I can bring him with me... no, don't get your hopes up... This is his home, after all.

A dead Lost One was laying on the ground, and you stopped to look at them carefully. He was near a bottled substance, which made you wonder if that was the cause of his demise. Bendy nudged you on the shoulder. We should leave. 'Hold on, I have to free him first...' You knelt down to rest your hand on his head, but the Lost One grabbed hold of your arm and dragged your down. 'Wh- Hey!' You yelped and swung your weapon, trying to stop the man, the... thing from attacking you. He grabbed hold of your throat and slowly made his grip tighter, you started to choke in the intensity while trying to loosen his grasp with your right hand.

You turned around, to see Bendy holding your left arm and trying to pull you back. In the heat of the moment, you felt your left hand get hotter. 'Bendy, LET GO!' You yelled, and Bendy did as you said when he saw his hands start to melt as the ferocity of your hand got worse. He fell to the ground in pain, and you watched in horror as you both were slowly dying. Anger raged within you, it bubbled and festered, making you snarl in hatred. You leaned and clawed at the Lost One's face, and his body started to melt as he cried in anguish and agony, falling into the floorboards. As soon as his grip came off of your throat, you hit him off of you and crawled to Bendy's side.

He was silently crying in pain, inky tears travelling down his face as he gasped in agony. 'I'm so sorry, buddy... Let me have a look.' You kept your voice as calm as you could, but deep down you were anxious for him. If he dies, I'm never going to live the same way again...

Both of his hands were drooping, a hot mess. You held them in yours, trying to think happy thoughts. You thought of your game of tag, his pranks, his laughter, your fun... but his hands still were hot and dripping. He was trying to hold back his tears, but you knew that this pain would be too much to "be strong" as you told him to do earlier. 'Hold on, bud,' you sat him in a more comfortable position and held him in your arms as thoughts whizzed around in your mind. 'Okay, just think happy thoughts, okay? Look at me, bud, look at me...' his eyes were scrunched up from the pain, but he did as you said, reluctantly.

'I'm here...' you smiled, and he gave a weak one back. You closed your eyes and tried again, reliving anything memorable and keeping it firm on your mind. He closed his eyes and did the same. You were holding his hands in yours, and you could feel a relax in temperature. Sitting there for a few moments, you hummed a small tune, a favourite one of yours you always heard on the radio. Bendy stirred, as if recognising the motif.

Bendy stopped smiling and looked at you, a face of recognition and content.

You gave him a look of reassurance and he grinned weakly, letting his head lean back as he focussed on your vocalising voice.

You could feel his chest rise and fall slower than it had, and his hands were cold once more, just like ink. His face showed no more pain, no more upset. He looked at you, calm and happy once more. He squeezed your hands tightly as he gazed at you. Thank you.

'You're alright...' you mumbled and drew him closer, holding him tightly as you felt tears heat up your eyes. 'You're alright...' you repeated your words as you choked back your sobs, trying to not look weak and helpless. 'I thought you were dead! I thought I killed you!' you yelled out, and you felt him wrap his arms around your torso as you wept. 'I'm so sorry, Bendy... I swear I won't let anything happen to you...'

He didn't say anything in reply, only sat there and listened. 'Nothing... I swear...' you looked at the ground and tried to force your eyes to not overflow, you didn't want more ink on your face. He moved his head so he was facing you. Reaching a now stable hand to you face, he wiped your hot, boiling eyes. Why was he so considerate? It made things worse...

You let out a short laugh at his action and hug him tighter. 'You're too nice to me.' He shook his head at your words and looked to the ground. Closing his eyes for a moment, he gazed back at you and pointed toward your chest. You are. You chuckled and let go of him. 'We'd argue forever on this topic, so let's just drop it.'

He got off of you and stood up, looking at the steaming puddle of ink that was once the Lost One. You couldn't tell what he was thinking, but he dropped his head and shifted his eyes back to you. Let's just go.

'Alright...' you mumbled, letting Bendy take the lead this time. Before he started to walk, he held out his hand for you to take. You slowly let your right-hand rest inside the puffy glove, and it wrapped around it in a cocoon. He led the way forward, up a bunch of stairs.