Chapter Thirty: A Familiar Voice

Because it was so exposed, the jolt of electricity pumping through the pipe made it feel... weird. 

Almost tingly. 

You took it out when you thought it was charged enough and looked back over at Bendy, who was keeping his eye on the mother's corpse. 

'It's dead, Bendy.' you say, rubbing the back of his head.

He still didn't seem all too sure. 'Look, even if it isn't, we'll be gone by the time it wakes up. Let's head off.' He nodded and gestured for you to lead the way. 

A door was barricaded on the other side of the room, but you already had charged up your pipe. 

'There...' you slotted the pipe into its spot and pulled down the lever, the barricade shrinking in and allowing you access.

As you walked through the hall toward a slowly turning fan, you noticed writing on the wall. 

'"Fear shows out true nature..."' you mumbled, studying it as you and Bendy go past. You noticed a barred door and swing your pipe against it hard, and the chain broke off. Bendy walked in the opposite direction, which drew you attention. 

'What are you doing?' you ask, but he's busy looking through a few lockers on the other side. He pulls out a donut and walks back over to you.

'Huh?' He raised it to your face, wanting you to eat it. 'Oh! Thank you, Bendy. Is there any other food for you?' Bendy shook his head and once again poked it in your face. 

'Okay, okay... thank you.' You take it off of him and take a bite, feeling the stale and old texture of the dough in your mouth. While it wasn't fluffy anymore, it was still sweet and tasted somewhat like off chocolate. You really miss chocolate... 

'That was delicious!' you exclaim, rubbing his head between his horns. He shows off a proud beam.

You gesture for him to follow you as you both go through the barred door. One of those interaction speakers laid at the end of the corridor, and you froze. 

What if... you suddenly ran for it, Bendy letting out a confused whistle as he saw you bolt toward it. You rested your hands upon the two bolts either side and went up onto your toes, getting your face up to the speaker. 

'Alice?' You hold onto the handles tightly and you could feel Bendy look at you perplexed. 'Are you there, Alice?' 

Silence.

You sigh and let your heels drop to the ground. 

'Y/N! Where are you?' The new voice sounded familiar to Bendy, and his cartoon eyebrows raised. You look around you, but give up trying to locate where you were. 

'I... I don't know, Alice... it's dark... I have a friend, but-'

'A friend?' She asked, curious. 

'Yes, he's been helping me along the way... But Alice, it's dark... we're scared.' No matter how hard you fight the creatures attacking you, at the end of the day you were both just little kids. 

Little kids who didn't deserve this fate... here. 

'I... We don't know what to do.' you say, holding Bendy's side with one arm. 

'Wait there, I'm coming to find you!' You could hear her walk off, and you looked at your companion. He gave you a sad face. You know she won't find us, right?

'I know... we're in a very low place right now. And she's on the upper levels, I think. We just need to keep moving.' You sigh and take a step back from the speaker, feeling emotions start to well up inside of you. 

I never wanted to be here, I just wanted to explore... 

Then again, Bendy probably didn't want to be here either, you had no idea of his story.

'Come on,' you gesture to the right. 'Maybe we'll find her instead...?' You clutch onto Bendy's hand with your own, looking for some reassurance as you led the way. He stayed silent behind you while you walked, seeming to be focussing on something else. 

A few more of those hatching pods are laid out around the twists and turns, which you quickly knock down. Turning the corner, you find a decaying Alice Angel cutout staring at you. You run your fingers down it, but Bendy seemed frustrated. 

'What's the matter, bud?' He pokes his tongue out at the cut out. 'You don't like Alice?'

You find that very strange. In the cartoon, they're best pals, perhaps even to be portrayed as lovers. So, to hate her is a very peculiar trait. 

'Why?' you ask, lightly squeezing his hand. He looks away, and shakes his head. 

Not her. 

'Wait, so you don't hate her?' He stares at the ground, frustrated that he can't get his point across.

'It's okay, Bendy. Maybe another time you can explain it when we aren't busy.' He nods, understanding your point.

She's not as friendly in person...

A familiar voice echoes in your mind, and you freeze. 

Ink Demon, is that you? You sound different... 

Bendy's eyes jolt as soon as you think those words. The Ink Demon didn't seem to reply, but you noticed Bendy fidget with his hands. 

'Did you... did you hear that voice? Did you hear him?' you ask, curious as to why he was reacting to something that was in your own head. He shook his head wildly. Let's just keep going.

'Uhm... okay?'