Chapter 2.

12:58 am. Two minutes to go. Her parents and Noah had gone to bed for almost three hours now. They are fast asleep. Ellora had checked. Five times to be exact. She was sitting on her bed restlessly. Her hair was up in a thick ponytail and she was wearing a black hoodie and gray leggings and a pair of her white Adidas sneakers. It was good that the weather was cold outside.

She looked at her table clock again. 12:59 am. One minute more. She Checked her things one last time. A small hammer, in case she needs to break anything, gloves and mask, Incase she needs to hold or smell something nasty, a small knife, she didn't know why, an extra flashlight for backup, a bottle of water and two protein bars. She didn't know if her body would even dare to feel hungry or thirsty in that situation but she took them anyway. It felt good having everything. It ensures her that she has everything Incase of emergencies. All was packed in her messenger bag. It's dark blue color matched with her clothes, Ellora noticed.

She looked at the clock again. 1:00 am. Time to go. Her heart was pounding fast in her chest. She tried to ignore it and shouldered her bag before taking the other flashlight and of course, her phone from the bed. She considered for a moment if she should check in on her parents one more time but then decided not to. She walked over to her window and pushed her study table a bit out of the way. She had never snuck out of the house before. But she knew how to.

She slowly opened the window, careful not to make any noise before looking down. Her room was just on the second floor, not much higher from the ground. Even if fell from the height, she probably would only break a bone or two. She assured herself saying at least nothing drastic would happen if she actually did. Slowly, she put one leg out of the window and then the other. Then she gripped the iron pipe just near her window before slowly climbing down through it. It was easier than she thought. Her shoe touched the grass on the ground and the cold breeze touched her pale skin, making her shiver a bit.

The sky was dark above, lit by the stars and the half moon shining in it. There wasn't much light outside but enough for her to walk through. The only two streetlights in her neighborhood — one of which was broken and another was so dimmed that it was barely lit — wasn't coming any handy. She wasn't surprised. The only light was from the moon above her head and from a window just in front of hers. It was Aiden's window. His house was just in front of hers. A thing she both hated and liked about small towns.

She started walking, wondering what he was doing this late at night. Ellora could see his silhouette standing by his window, with his earphones on. For a moment she almost thought his eyes had spotted her. She started walking faster just to get out of the neighborhood quickly.

The Dark House wasn't far from her house. It takes ten minutes at most to reach there. The Street was deserted. No one was outside. On second thought, why would anyone be outside at 1 in the midnight, in this street.

Ellora's heart was beating fast now. She felt like a spy in a movie, walking sneakily in the dead of the night, all dressed in dark clothes, set out on a mission to complete. She still hasn't switched on her flashlight as she could still walk through the little light. It was dead quiet. The only sound was of her own feet walking and a mysterious buzzing noise that always comes at night.

As she kept walking the story of the 'DARK HOUSE' she heard from all the people and her parents started playing inside her mind. She heard a lot of rumors, a lot of stories of different versions about the house.

A wealthy man used to live there. People say his generation was very influential in the town. He used to live there alone with his only son. His wife died while delivering her son because of excessive bleeding. The man raised his son alone with all his love. Ellora heard a lot about the great bond they had. People say they looked more like brothers than father and son.