Chapter. 1 :: Reborn, A new life

Blinking his hazy eyes open and meeting a woman's eyes full of joy, he can also notice the other from the sides of his eyes.

The woman—she's a really beautiful one.

'Just who is she? '

And why's he still alive? From what he can remember, he died. right?

Ehh...?

How did he die again? He can't remember... All he knew was that he had died. And did he just get reborn...?

He doesn't actually believe in reincarnation, but...

"Why is he so quiet? Is there something wrong with my son?" a woman's worried voice cut through his dilemma.

"He's highness is a healthy little boy, my lady," a man's voice replied in a reassuring way.

"It looks like the prince will grow up as a strong and smart boy, my lady." Another voice, this time a woman's voice, echoed through the room.

"You think so?" the woman, or should he say, his mother, said, asking, lifting him gently in her arms. "Hello," she greeted softly at him. "I am your mother, Irene," she said, looking at him in a loving way as she smiled at him dearly. "Makarios, my son, my little prince."

Makarios... Is that his name from now on?

"My lady, are you sure you are going to name him that? I mean..." slightly faltering, scared to offend the ladylady unintentionally, "the prince's probably going to be the heir of his Majesty. Shouldn't you name him something that an heir befitting with?" asks the lady—Belle, a woman with lovely brown hair that ran past her waist—the maidservant.

Smiling gently, Irene hummed as she lifted her finger, caressing her son's cheek gently. "I named him that for him to live a happy and fortunate life. With this name, I want for him to live a blessed life as he grows up."

Makarios, eyes would probably widen if he could do it right now. He felt so happy, not expecting to receive such a name that someone probably spent so much time thinking about. Lifting his small hands and reaching for her mother's finger, he tried his best to grab his mother's finger, giving it a weak squeeze and giving her a smile that came out as a giggle—maybe because of him being a baby right now.

Her mother let out a joyful laugh at that crying in happiness. "Do you like it? Your name? Makarios."

Replying yes, that came out as a gurgle. That made everyone in the room laugh heartily.

It looks like he just has to give this life a shot. this second life of his.

••••

"Your Majesty," a voice called respectfully—or maybe it's fear. A physician vowed her head. "Lady Irene, give birth to a healthy boy," she informed.

A sound of scratching stops as Claude's hand stops working on the paperwork on this table, lifting his head and looking at the visitor.

"Your Majesty," said the redhead man standing besides the Emperor. Felix Robane—His Majesty's knight and also one of the emperors—oor may be the only person that the emperor trusted. "We probably should visit her, Lady Irene. I mean," said Felix, even though he probably won't say it. Felix knows the emperor would go there to see Lady Irene.

The marriage is for a political reason; the emperor probably wouldn't agree if he didn't know Lady Irene personally—the two have known each other since they were young. Even though the emperor doesn't say it, Felix can tell that he likes her company because he can see how comfortable Claude is around her.

Lady Irene is also a very unique person—a very unique one. She's also a kind and smart woman. A woman who fits to be an empress for this empire.

Not even trying to deny Felix's suggestion, Claude stood out of his seat. "Let's go, Felix," he said with a commanding voice, walking his way out. Without a thought, Felix followed the emperor as they both walked their way to Lady Irene's chamber.

••

They are making their way to the room where Lady Irene is. Claude made his way inside, not even bothering to knock. Because why would he?

"Irene," he called to the woman he married, the woman carrying a small bundle in her arms.

Irene, the mother of his child, turned her head at him, a wide smile tracing her soft lips. He can actually tell that she is happy right now.

Something he can't understand is what's there to be happy with.

Irene's smile grew upon seeing him. "Your Majesty," she greeted, slightly lowering her head yet still doing it elegantly. "I didn't expect you to be here. I thought you were so busy that you wouldn't be able to come."

Claude just turned his head, looking at the child, not even bothering to answer her. "What did you name it?" he asks with an uncaring voice.

Irene's eyebrows furrowed upon hearing Claude's reference to her son's. "Your Majesty, I would gladly like it if you actually won't refer to my son in that kind of terms," she said in a serious tone of voice. Her voices are as fierce as her amethyst eyes.

The atmosphere was very heavy, as if they could see an imaginary electricity between the two. Right, these two have had a rivalry between them since they were young.

"Do you like to hold him, Your Majesty?" asked Irene as she ignored the emperor's lack of response. What a very bold and brave woman!

With that, the emperor flinches slightly, unnoticed by everyone. "There's no need for that," Claude replied in an uncertain tone. Why is he even hesitating with that answer?

Irene, who smiled at Felix, who's behind the emperor, gets what she's actually trying to say to him. Without any signs of hesitation, Felix gently dragged the emperor's arm, making him sit on the bed. "Your Majesty, you don't have to be shy," said Felix, oblivious to the emperor's looks, which would probably kill him already if looks could kill. Yet the knight still smiled as if there were flowers floating behind him, oblivious to the emperor's glare.

Irene laughs at the knight's obliviousness; he can already tell that he won't get a lover in the near future. Without waiting for the emperor's protests, she put the small bundle on the man's arms, who'd instinctively raised both of his arms to accept the child. Irene looks at him attentively—she can't have the emperor drop his son just because he can't hold a child's property because it's awkward for him.

On the other hand, Claude stared at the child who's in his arms—the child has the same jeweled blue eyes that prove he has royal blood, despite having his mother's raven hair and a porcelain skin so pale that it makes him look like someone who would bruise easily. With that thought, Claude tried to carry him more gently and carefully, not even being aware of himself.

The child looks at him. Raising his hand subconsciously to try to caress the boy, he stops as he realizes what he is doing and is about to retract his hand, but the child gives his finger a weak grip and lets out a giggle. For some reason, there's a strange feeling inside him—something that he can't even understand or tell. Unknowing himself, a small smile graces his lips that is mostly emotionless.

"What is his name?" Claude asks, his eyes still on the child. Unaware of the two who's actually gawking at him openly.

Clearing her throat, Irene, who recovered rather quickly, said lovingly, "Makarios."

"Makarios..." repeats Claude. "Makarios de Alger Obelia."

TBC.

Little Makarios is going to be 3 years older than Athanasia.

Makarios means "happy, fortunate, blessed."

••

The spider lily symbolizes death and the cycle of rebirth. — that I think is very fitting for this chapter for our OC.

Edited: 05/02/24