Chapter. 7 :: A promise

It's been four years since he was reincarnated in this world. Standing in front of a mirror as Belle dresses him up. Wearing a white long-sleeve sailor-colored ribbon and pants. Now that he thinks about it, What's that woman up to? Well, he guesses he can call her a woman since she was originally older on the inside. Makarios died younger than her when she died, probably from an overdose. The only thing that Makarios can't remember is how or why he died.

Why can't he remember...?

"Your highness, is there a problem?" Belle suddenly asked him. Makarios can notice the worries on her beautiful face, tying the black ribbon to his collar of blouse.

Looking at the beautiful woman who's giving him a concerned look. Makarios smiled gently at her, slowly shaking his head. "Nothing," he told her, tilting his head slightly and putting his finger on his chin. "I'm just thinking about something," a melancholy expression can be seen on his face, "but for some reason, no matter how hard I tried to think about it, I just can't remember."

"I never saw such a look on your face, your highness."

What kind of look? Makarios wondered, fighting the urge to glance in the mirror.

"Your highness," Belle called, almost startling him, "it's just a few months and you're going to turn five." Belle finished with a wide smile on her face as she tied the ribbon neatly on his blouse collar—just how thorough she is.

Right, now that he actually thinks about it, he's going to turn five. It's been a few years since Diana died... But looking at Claude, he looks as if he's not mourning. He's still the same awkward dad who's trying his best to be a father to him. He's not neglecting him either. Isn't he supposed to not show any apathy toward him? Since he should already have used dark magic to eradicate his emotions,.

Hah... A deep breath passed past his lips at the thought that Claude had already used dark magic. Biting the bottom of his lips, he already made his decision a long time ago—that he would step aside if he ever needed to for the sake of the plot, but... Why is he suddenly worried about being neglected? Taking a deep breath to calm his emotions, right... There's no need for him to falter; he already made his decision for himself and for the man he considers his father.

Strengthening his resolve, he opened his mouth as he spoke, "Belle." He called and asked, "Do you know anything about my little sister?" He almost cringed as he called Athanasia a little sister, biting the tip of his tongue. Why does it feel so hard? It's so easy for him to call Claude's dad.

Belle suddenly stopped what she's doing, and Makarios can see her body stiffening in his peripheral vision. She turned to face him. "I don't," she quickly answered, "every servant that works under this palace is prohibited from approaching the ruby palace, the same as for those working under the ruby palace."

Prohibited? Why..? Makarios wondered, playing at the hem of his sleeve, trying to calm his skyrocketing anxiety. "It was?" he asked uncertainly, looking at Belle. "But I sneaked into that palace," he lied. He didn't actually step a foot near that place, but he needed to get some information.

Belle's eyes widen. "Just when, your highness?" She looks shocked but doesn't look like she's mad.

"I just wanted to know..." he started shifting slightly to act as if he was nervous—no, he can't actually call it an act when he's really nervous. "I just want to see my sister," he answered, biting the lower of his lips.

Belle sighed; her hand was on her forehead as if she had a headache—or she had one—and probably it's because of Makarios.

Slightly grimacing, he felt bad for that, but just one more push—forgive me, Belle! "I heard her name is Athanasia!" he said with a cheerful smile. Saying that the atmosphere felt awkward, silence filled the room, but the silence broke when "...Huh?" blurted out Belle, "Athanasia, you said?" her voice slightly raised. Makarios could hear her gritting her teeth.