Chapter. 14 ::

Felix tried to remain neutral when Athanasia's arm was snatched from his arms by one of the maids in the ruby palace. He can see something cautious written on their faces.

Straightening, he stood with proper posture in front of them. "I just came here to drop the princess," he said, biting the tip of his tongue. How weird is that? Does he even need him to call her by that title? though, just in case he doesn't want any wrath from women. They all look rather protective toward Athanasia.

It somehow reminds him of how Belle was with their prince, his highness. Even though it's been years, they're still mourning.

He still has many what-ifs every night and can't sleep, thinking, "What if he came earlier?" "What if he didn't leave their side?" "Would something change?" "Would the prince be still with them?" "Would that happy, vibrant day still be there?"

Even though he asks himself those what-if's over and over again, nothing will change the fact that the prince is gone, and they won't be able to go back to those days.

Ah, God knows how much he wanted to and how they wanted to if they ever could.

He turned his attention back at them. "She was in his Majesty's palace," he said. "We all know he doesn't want any strangers there."

The woman, whose name he remembered, is Lillian, brows furrowed. "Athanasia is not a stranger to him," she gritted out at him. "She is his daughter."

She is. But that didn't change the fact that she is still a stranger to his Majesty.

Of course, he didn't say what was really on his mind, but he continued to stand still with proper professionalism in front of them. "Probably you are right," he replied, "I'm taking my leave." He dismissed himself, "I'm done with my orders here."

"Wait!" A voice stops him from turning around. Felix looks at her.

Lilian York gives Athanasia to one of the other maids; the child looks at them. "Can we talk for a moment?" she asks him.

Taking a deep breath, he looked at her, not having the thought of denying her when she sounded so desperate. "What is it?"

Lillian looked at the maids, nodding at them. They look at her for a moment before walking their way out with a reluctant Athanasia.

"It's about the princess," she said.

So she already thinks of her as a princess?

"What about her?" he asks, his eyebrows arching.

"It's about her needs."

Felix sharpened at that: "His Majesty is providing her with what she needs every day—something to live on and to eat."

She looks at him with eyes burning in rage. "You know what I mean," she hissed at him, tremors on her body. "What I'm taking about is his Majesty, taking responsibility for her, him being beside her as her father," she spit at him with venom. "No one here probably doesn't know about her existence except the people in the ruby palace."

Yes, probably no one does. The same as no one knowing about his prince's existence, no matter how much they wanted to show him to the empire. Look what kind of future Emperor you have; aren't you all blessed?

But all of those were nothing now but a very distant dream. In the end, his prince died, with no one knowing about him. How great and kind of a person he is!

"If that's what you want, you have to talk to his Majesty, not me," he said.

I thought he wouldn't probably listen to you or even give you an inch of attention for whatever you wanted to say.