Chapter. 5 :: Safe and Sound

He hid behind the large pillar, trying his best not to get caught by them. Makarios watches that scene happen—Lilian York, on her knees not far from where Claude's standing with Felix behind him, forehead laid on her, both hands on the ground as she begged the emperor, Claude de Alger Obelia, to let her be the one to take care of Athanasia. From what Makarios remembers, she's the one who will take charge in the ruby palace.

Makarios can't hear what they're saying, but he saw when Lillian suddenly got up on her knees before bowing her head at the emperor, her mouth keeping on working, that Makarios can tell what she's probably saying.

'Thank you'

It looks like it happened the way it was supposed to. Claude was letting her take Athanasia, or he just didn't care enough about what even happened to her. That person just now can be a potential assassin, yet he still let her be in charge of her child, not even knowing if Athanasia's even safe in her hand or not. But isn't Lillian York from a noble family? From what he remembers, all the maids in Ruby Palace are.

'Why would a noblewoman want to follow or serve a commoner? Is it because she thought Diana would be an emperor? '

Shaking his head, that's probably not. After all, she's not that kind of woman, right? He doesn't know anything that much about her character from the manhwa. He should really have read that manhwa thoroughly instead of just skimming it. (I finished the manhwa by skipping many chapters.)

How stupid of him! Well, it's not like he knew that he'd end up being reborn inside 'who made me a princess '. sighing,

"Makarios." A strict voice called out for him.

Flinching from behind the pillar where he's hiding, he stepped out. "Dad," he said, grimacing at the fact that he had been caught, fidgeting before making a moe expression and looking at his father and the knight behind him. He smiled brightly and innocently, his hands clasping behind his back.

Claude let out a defeated sigh. "Didn't I tell you not to wonder around on your own?"

"But..." Makarios started, "I didn't go anywhere that far from the palace," he replied. He can't actually tell Claude that he's spying on them. "Are you mad at me?" making a teary eyed, biting the bottom of his lips to add some more effect. It's a good thing he had some experience in acting from his past life when his sister dragged him to drama club and signed him without him knowing. What a troublesome sister she is. "Do you hate Rios now?" even using some kind of pet name to address himself, he's so embarrassed, he's dying inside. Actually, it made it easy for him to tear up more, and those are tears of humiliation.

"What are you talking about?" said Claude, incredulously like he was scared that Makarios thought that he was mad at him. "I'm not mad at you," Claude immediately said, and he tried to console Makarios, crouching down and using his thumb to wipe his tears. "I-" His mouth opened before closing again. Makarios stared at him with wide, innocent, still teary eyes.

"I could never hate you." Claude finally finished, his cheeks tinted red; he's blushing. Makarios could tell how much he wanted to turn his head to the side to hide his face, yet he remained straight-faced as he stared at his face.

How cute. Makarios mused. The cold emperor is shy about saying that to his son, smiling. "You do?" Makarios pressed. He's enjoying his father's reaction.

"Yes, of course," Claude answered quietly, his face turning to the side. He's probably at his limit. What an awkward man. "I could never lie to you."

A muffled laugh from behind that came from the redhead knight made the both of them—him and his father—whip their heads from where the knight was standing.