Chapter. 10:: The Sun

Murmured by many people in every corner of the place, it buzzed with excitement. Being in this kind of environment, it would mostly annoyed Claude to the point he would order a massacre of all this pest to just quiet down all these noises. But right now he can't help but frown and wonder because, for some reason, he still can't understand that only happens when he's with his son, and just that he learned something changed—that he changed. He doesn't even pay attention to others (to his people) eyes, his own eyes glued to his son's wide eyes full of mirth as he looks around—as if it were the first time he saw the world with his very own eyes, or maybe it was because of him just thinking that he could feel a bile of guilt trying to claw up to his throat. He didn't mean to hide his son's existence from these people; all he wanted was to protect his son. Would Makarios hate him when he grows up and can understand something? Would he also think he's hiding him from everyone because he doesn't care about him? Loathe him from those to freedom refuse him?

Was he a terrible father to his child? To Makarios?

Ahhh...

Just thinking about that makes breathing for him almost unbearable—he doesn't want that. He doesn't want Makarios, his son, to hate and loath him. He hates the thought that he can't be the good father that his son deserves.

"Dad!"

Claude's eyes go wide as his attention gets away from his spiraling thoughts.

"What's wrong?" his son—Makarios—asked with eyes full of worries, his lower lips slightly trembling. "You're not answering me," he said, stating the fact, "even though I called you." He raised his hands, cupping his cheeks. "Why are you crying?" he asked.

Crying?

His free hand flew on top of his son's small hand, managing to feel the wetness.

Oh... He just did; he's actually crying. Just when did he become this weak? He's an emperor! He's been through everything. How come something like this makes him cry?

Is it really just something for him? That question was pondered inside his head.

"Are you not feeling okay?" asked Makarios, whose voice was loving as always. Claude closed his eyes, pressing his cheek against his son's hand, feeling its warmth. "Do you want to go home and rest?"

With that question, his eyes suddenly opened. He looked into his son's eyes, which always looked bright as if he didn't have any worries in the world. As if he's okay with Claude being his father.

"Makarios," he called out, "Are you fine with me being your father?" Are you fine with someone like me being your father? Claude was sure that his son probably heard everything he did when he still didn't have him in his life. He probably thinks about what kind of monster his father is.

"Of course," Makarios answered him without even thinking. Claude looked at him with wide eyes. "And how can you say something like that? Of course I'm fine with you. If I had a chance to pick a father, I would still choose you," Makarios said to him. "I know you're trying your best to be a good father, and for all you know," Makarios stopped and looked at him straight in the eyes. "You are," he said, his eyes glistening softly as it reflected in the moonlight.

Ohh. With just that, as if everything felt alright, it quieted down all his fears. Claude can't stop the smile forming on his lips; his eyes soften as he looks at his son, full of warmth and love. "I love you, Makarios," he said.

"Oh," Makarios uttered softly, but a wide, cheerful smile took over his entire face, a warm pink coloring his cheeks. "Hehehe." he let out a giggle. "You finally said it," he said, his eyes glistening with some tears. "You finally said it while looking at me," he said as he wrapped his arms around his father's neck, pressing himself closer. "I'm so happy."

Claude still doesn't have that much knowledge about being a father—but is it what other fathers feel seeing their child happy? For some reason, Claude wants to protect that smile with his life. He held his son's nape as he hugged him back. Just stay with me, and I'll give you all the happiness in the world.

"I love you too," his son whispered to him. He smiled without even trying to hide it.

"Your highness, the fireworks will start soon."

Makarios suddenly jerked in his hold, looking at Felix, and smiled, "Thanks, Felix!"

A voice suddenly destroyed everything, including his mood. He turned to look at the culprit. "Felix," he called out with an icy voice.

"Yeah!?" stuttered the red head.

"Let's have a long talk later, okay?"

"Did I do something wrong, your Majesty?" Felix asked his liege, hesitantly trying to soothe the upcoming anxiety. For some reason, his Majesty is always on edge around him. He thought as his sweat dropped.

"Yes, your Majesty."

"Good," Claude said. If it weren't for his cold voice and his icy eyes that almost appear blank, you would think he's complimenting someone.

***

Making their way to the spot where there are not many people. His father's wearing a cloak covering his entire head, the same as Felix.

"I think this is a is a place where we can have a good show of fireworks," Felix said with a proud smile.

"You're really the best, Felix!" Cheerfully said the knight, oblivious to how the redhead tenses at the emperor's "I'll kill you" look. Felix forced down the shudder that was about to run down his spine. Isn't kind of cold tonight? The red head thought, trying to delude himself from the fact that his liege probably wanted to kill him. gulp.

•••

Somewhere

A woman is standing in the hallway with someone—aa guy wearing black with something covering his face.

"His Majesty is probably in the plaza," the woman said. "And he was with his firstborn."

"Don't you know leaking something like this is treason against your emperor?" the man in black said in a taunting manner.

"He's not my emperor. The person I'm serving is dead," she said, "and I'm going to do everything to ensure her child's future," she said with a voice borderline madness. "Lady Dianna's child is the one who deserves the throne," she said with gritted teeth. "I'm sure if Lady Dianna is alive, the emperor will choose her and their daughter."

The man just stared at him; he didn't really care. All he needed was the money this crazy woman promised and the insurance that what he's going to do wouldn't be found by anyone—mmost of all by the emperor.

"Once that child is gone, his Majesty will give Athanasia the attention she deserved from his father," she said. "I want you to kill that child."

The man tried to stop himself from sighing.

This person's going to be troublesome.

•••

Makarios looked at the sky filled with different colors—tthe sky looks so bright and beautiful. "Dad." Makarios called out for his father's name.

"Yes?" his father answered lovingly. He's actually showing affection without even trying to hide anything. It's making him happy.

"Let's go again next year," he said. "Let's watch fireworks again together." He looked at his father, who's also looking at him. "Just the two of us." He smiled at him. "Just us, father and son."

Claude looked at him, his eyes glistening for a moment as a soft smile formed on his lips. A smile that Makarios has seen more lately. "Hmm," he's father hummed at him. "Let's watch again," Claude said, "without any of this cloak next time," he's father said with a promise.

••••••

Yo! It's been a while since the last time I updated! So who do you think that bitch is?