Chapter. 19 ::

It's been three days since the first time he came here to the palace, and he manages to get along with other servants here. They were good people.

Every now and then, he's more like Claude's watchdog. This man can't really take care of himself, huh?

Overworking and finishing that paperwork even though he looks like he is about to pass out.

He sometimes just can't leave him alone. There's one night that he put a blanket on the emperor's shoulders while sleeping on his desk with just those open robes of his.

Isn't he cold at all?

Like, Athanasia, where are you? Do something and take care of your father.

Currently, Achlys is walking one step behind the emperor. They were taking a small stroll at the bridge in the lake that connects to the other side.

Was it always here? Because he can't remember seeing it when he read the manhwa before. Or maybe he just forgot.

Concealed eyes land on the tea table at the center of the bridge at the side. Achlys ran his finger at the marble, eyeing the view in front of him.

"This place really had nice scenery, Your Majesty," he said with a smile. "Was it always there?" he asks, wanting to give the question inside his head an answer.

Achlys also didn't know, but talking to the emperor felt so normal.

He actually has another one other than that. Why did the emperor ask him for a walk and not Athanasia? Did he not ask her, thinking he might bother her? He thought, looking at the emperor's eyes as he looked at the glistening lake.

From what he read his always the kind of awkward father at the reason he don't probably know how to show affection, though, he's still trying his best for Athanasia.

Did Athanasia end up loving him as her father genuinely without doing it for her own sake? Achlys didn't know; he can't remember many details; it's been a long time since he read it after all.

"No," replied the emperor, who has a fond look in his eyes while still looking at the lake. "I ask them to make it for a very important person."

Achlys can't help but stare at the emperor. "That person must be really important," he said with a smile.

The emperor smiled softly. "Yes, he is," he admitted, a warm emotion in his eyes. "He's the most precious person to me in the world."

Oh. Achlys felt a tug inside his chest from hearing that. A feeling that he can't understand. And he? Not she..?

Shaking his head, he looks at the water. "The water looks warm," he said, smiling up at the emperor. "Your Majesty," he called. "Wanna take a jump?" he grinned.

The emperor looked at him with eyes slightly wide. "Jump...?" she asks endearingly.

Achlys let out a soft laugh at the reaction he got from the emperor. "Yes," he said, climbing off the terrace.

"Hey," said the emperor, who sounded reprimanded.

"When I say, take a jump," he said with a wide smile still on his lips. "Like this!" he said, jumping on the water.

Claude watched with surprised wide eyes when the raven-haired boy jumped on the water. Water was splashing, and droplets were hitting him on the face.

Jeweled eyes peek at the water as a head emerges out of the water. Achlys throws his head back, letting out a joyous smile.

"That was amazing," he said, looking up at Claude from where he was swimming. "Your Majesty, aren't you going to jump?" he asks with an adorable, cheeky smile.

They've been talking to him casually, but Claude doesn't mind it. He kind of likes it, actually.

Smiling, "I would rather not," he replied, almost letting out a laugh when the boy pouted.

This feeling is really familiar.

"So," he muttered, "the water feels good, though." Achlys prodded.

Shaking his head, he planted his hand on the terrace, taking a lift, seeing how the younger boy's eyes widen when he jumps.

He was right. The water feels good; it's warm.

"I didn't know you would actually jump for your Majesty," commented Achlys.

"Your saying that now after all that provocation."

He watches the boy's cheeks flush pink, spluttering, and he fights the urges to ruffle the boy's hair. Claude let out a relief sigh, letting himself float in the water. "It really feels good," he whispered, closing his eyes and trying to feel the water on his skin.

Achlys smiled brightly. "Aren't they?"

Claude smiled at that, a small but genuine one.

••

Athanasia marches at the bridge—it was the first time she came here. And it was actually a nice place. Felix was behind her, and some of the servants said that the emperor came to this place.

"Father is not here," she whispered, not seeing even a shadow of his good-for-nothing father. Biting the bottom of her lips.

She stopped suddenly when she heard the sounds of splashing water and a laugh. Felix takes a step forward, peeking at the terrace, and Athanasia watches his face light up with recognition.

"Your Majesty," the knight called.

Athanasia's feet move on their own as she takes a peek too, her eyes widening as she sees Claude and Lucas assistants in the water. Achlys, from what she remembers.

They look like they are enjoying themselves. Mostly Claude, he's wearing an expression Athanasia never saw in his face before.

All she saw was his cold, uncaring, and blank look. But he has never been like this. Why? She felt a panic inside her chest.

Jennette was not there yet, so she thinks she still had time to get Claude's affection. Just what is that guy doing? He's ruining things for her!

She left, ignoring the red-headed knight's confused calls. She gripped at her heart as fear ate her.

Is this how the real Athanasia felt when Claude ignored her presence?

•••
OMAKE
•••

Felix stared at the two, who looked so drenched from head to toe that the raven-haired boy averted his head, not looking at his red cheeks out of embarrassment.

Claude—his liege, looking straight at him with his neutral expression as if he just didn't play at the lake like some kind of child.

"You didn't see anything," he said with an eerie glint in his eyes, threatening.

"Of course, your Majesty," he said. "I didn't see you play in the water, your Highness," he said with a hand on his chest, "and mostly I didn't see you enjoying it." He continued, oblivious to the cold look he was getting from the emperor.

The emperor's eyes twitched in annoyance. I was about to say something when a sneeze cut through the building tension.

Achlys covered the half of his face with both of his hands demurely, embarrassed. "Pardon me," he said.

Felix laughed at that, and it made Achlys glare at him playfully. "Meanie," he grumbled.

Felix laughs louder, and the boy joins him. Unnoticed, the emperor itself has a smile on his face.

•••

TBC.

•••

Even without his past memories, Makarios is still saving Felix from his impending death. No self-preservation at all.