16

September 17th 

The moon shines in the sky every single night

No matter how neglected it is in the daytime when the sun is feeding our very existence, the moon takes its role to shine brightly each night.

Uncaring of how much its glow puts the sun to shame. Unbothered whether it is whole or not.

I've always thought we should take some lead from the moon.

We should shine apologetically even if we aren't always a whole person.

Even if only part of us is alive and thriving.

Even if we can't wait for the morning sun to take our place, we should shine.

"Sunny?" My dad's voice calls up from the bottom steps of the tree house's ladder. "You alright up there, sweetheart?"

I hum in response, keeping my eyes trained on the moon instead of his wallowing face down below.

I know he is waiting at the bottom for me but I am not quite ready to leave the treehouse yet. The moon is so pretty tonight and I want to keep watching it for a little while.

"Okay... I'm coming up."

My lips twitch but I don't protest, I know he is just worried about me. I think all of them are honestly and I don't blame them.

I'm worried about myself too.

Dad climbs up the ladder, bundling himself onto the wooden ledge just like me. His legs hang off the side, meanwhile mine are tucked up to my chin as I hug myself tightly.

For a while he sits still beside me. His head is also tipped back to look at the moon just like mine. His eyes admire the far off beauty in silence until eventually his paternal instincts kick in.

"Sunday, what's going on?"

I shake my head, resting my chin on the top of my knee.

"Nothing."

He sighs, looking at me but I can't bring myself to look at him. I don't want to see the exhaustion or concern on his face; not when I know that I am the one who has caused it.

"I know that's not true. Something must be going on."

Shaking my head again, my eyes pinch shut as I try to contain the tears that are swiftly swelling in my waterline.

My heart drops down to my sinking stomach and I have to bite down on the inside of my lip to hold my composure. My skin is crawling with anxiety and yet for some reason I can't just say it.

"It's-"

"Don't say it's nothing, Sweetheart." He dismisses my words before I even get the chance to say them. "You left this morning with Josh and then since you came back, you barely touched your dinner and then spent the last two hours sitting out here alone. That's not nothing, Sunday."