43

November 10th

Day 2 without Sunday and we are all starting to feel the effects of not having her around

Roe and Ingrid went back home last night.

It was the first night that I have been left alone with three kids. I'm barely sleeping, barely eating, and barely functioning as a member of society.

"Have you feed Moonhippie, Nolee?" I ask, looking down at the small grey kitten who is brushing up against my leg in a begging sort of motion.

"Uh–" Nola glances down at the empty china bowl that Sunday had sculpted from clay.

She got the girls to pick little features and shapes before carving them into the clay. Nola wanted a moon obviously for Moonhippie but Rory requested a rainbow which Sunny girl was more than happy to deliver.

Looking at the food bowl now makes my stomach twist but since that meltdown in the hospital room, I have made a vow to myself not to show how broken I am in front of the twins. They deserve to have someone be strong for them.

"It's empty," Nola tells me, looking up at me with these huge doe eyes that I just find so endearing.

She gets them from her mumma I think.

Smiling at her as best as I can, I tilt my head in question. "So what do you have to do when it is empty, Jelly Bean?"

"Put more food in!"

She skips across the kitchen floor to the cupboard where she knows that we keep Moon's dry food. Opening it up she picks up the plastic scoop we got so she and Rory know how much food to give the small cat.

I watch from a distance as Nola shovels a scoop of the dried kibble and carefully transfers it over the floor to where Moon is waiting by her food bowl.

"There we are Moonie!" She giggles while stroking the top of Moonhippie's head as she eats. "Is it yummy?"

I smile at her, wiping Amos' mouth as I place his bottle on the side and lift him against my shoulder to burp him.

"Daddy, I did it!"

"Good job!" I praise, holding my hand out for her to high five which she does. "Hey, where's your sister?"

Nola shrugs which makes me frown and start to wander around the house in hopes of finding her. We have to leave soon if I am going to get the pair of them to Pre-K in time. They start school in less than an hour and getting three kids and myself ready and out of the door in time all by myself has got to be one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

We were late yesterday but the girls' teachers are aware of the situation and so everything was fine.

"Rory girl?" I softly call out while walking and burping Amos at the same time. "Where are you?"