epilogue

14 years later...

Everything you are is a mosaic of the people that you have ever met and more importantly of the people that you love

Like a constellation of stars in the night sky, people leave their light on you no matter how long they've spent in your life. It could be a fleeting moment with a stranger or a prolonged love that has been destined since the dawn of time.

Either way, we are never the same when people leave handprints on our souls.

I love the moon because my mom does. I could sit and stare at it for hours on end because it takes me back to a time when life was plain and simple. The moon brings back memories of when I lived with my sister, when my family were all still complete in one place. It takes me back to the times when my mom would tell Rory and I random facts about the moon and how it controls the tides.

I bake cakes when I am anxious and stressed because I would do it with my dad as a kid and it always made me smile. How I would come home from school and he would be waiting for us to make a new creation that he wanted to test out for his bakery.

He opened his own bakery when I was seven. It's called June's. For my entire childhood, Rory, Amos, Juni and I were taste testers until Atlas appeared some years later and took over the role of being the baby of our family.

But no matter how big and grown I have gotten, I can't dismiss the happiness that I get when I see my mom and dad dance around the kitchen together to older songs. Dad uses the wooden mixing spoon as a microphone and Mom smears cake batter on his cheeks to wind him up.

I paint my nails blue and only blue because my baby brother, Mos told me that they were his favourite once.

Juni and I go for drives whenever life gets overwhelming and somehow we always end up at a beach. I think it is because of all the birthdays we spent there growing up over the years. It's a happy place for us.

I like my coffee black because of my dad but I like four sugars in it because of my Uncle Roe.

I have a kitten called Kiwi because that is what my youngest brother, Atlas suggested. Our old lady Moonhippie hates Kiwi and likes to hiss at him but I could never replace Moon.

If I have had a bad day at college, I will always go back to my room and the one movie I will switch on is The Little Mermaid because it reminds me of my best friend, my twin, my Rory.

I am a constellation of all my favourite people.

I tuck a pencil behind my ear when I already have one in my hand to sketch because Pops does.

I crack my knuckles because my Uncle Roe has been doing it since I was a baby.

I think lame jokes are funny because my family would always fake a laugh at them so I wouldn't be embarrassed.