19

September 25th

I slept on the floor of Rory and Nola's room last night

Although I had attempted to construct a makeshift bed out of cushions, pillows and blankets, it was still incredibly uncomfortable.

My back is killing me, the muscles in my shoulders are tightly knotted with aching pain. Not to mention that the scab on my wrist from the brutal hair tie attack has come off and started to bleed all over the blanket in the middle of the night. I had to crawl off to the bathroom in the dead of night, trying to pressurise the bleeding with wads of toilet paper.

I had a shift at the diner this morning so I snuck out of the house with a half asleep Rory and Nola in my arms.

Getting them up and dressed while the sun was still not out was heartbreaking. The two of them were fighting the sleep as I struggled with lacing their arms through their clothes and tied their shoe laces for them.

Walking to my mom's house was also a difficulty. Neither one of them really wanted to walk while so exhausted and so I had to alternate carrying them and dragging them along by their hands.

Nola went first in my arms, her sleepy head bouncing against my shoulder as I nearly sprint back home to my mom and dad's house to make it to my shift in time. Rory is having to run along beside me, tears cascading down her cheeks because she still wants to be asleep.

By the time I got back to my parents, Rory was resting on one hip, Nola on the other and an overwhelming fatigue that causes dizziness to hijack my senses.

"Sunday?" My brother gasps, pulling my wrist and in turn my body from the doorstop. "What the hell are you doing out here?"

His head is covered by a thick black hood. Basketball shorts sitting low on his hips and a duffle bag hanging over his shoulder ready to head out to the gym.

"It's not even six in the morning." He reaches out, taking Rory from me without even questioning it and holding onto her body. "Where's Harry?"

Looking behind me out into the front driveway, his eyes trace along the pavement in search of Harry's car.

"At his," I answer in a breathless whisper.

"You walked here? Please tell me that you got a taxi or something?"

I shake my head, pursing my lips and winding my clammy arms tighter around Nola.

"Sunday?" He slams the door shut, not caring that he is probably waking our parents up in the process. "Are you fucking mad? It's freezing out and it's not even light yet. You walked here, alone with two little girls asleep on you?"

"I have work at six." I shamefully say. "I needed to get here to drop the girls off before I have work."

"It's five forty five, Sunday." He blurts out, holding the back of Rory's head and swaying his hips from side to side. "You walked here! Do you see the issue?"