17

The smell of scrambled eggs, bacon and toast wafted from downstairs as I opened my bedroom door the next morning, and it smelled divine.

Weary-eyed, I made my way down the hallway and descended the staircase, following the scent of absolute deliciousness, all the way into the kitchen.

I had expected to find my mother or father preparing breakfast. Instead, I found Grayson and Mitchell, the duo of idiots.

Grayson was currently scrambling the eggs and simultaneously cooking the bacon, whilst Mitchell was on toast duty.

"Uh, where is mom and dad?" I asked, dumbfounded at them.

"Good morning to you too." Grayson smiled at me, still dressed in his pjs and acting as if he owned the place.

"They went to the doctors." Mitchell answered my question, buttering a slice of charred toast.

I headed to the refrigerator to retrieve the orange juice and pour myself a glass. I caught a glimpse of the orange juice upon opening the fridge before Grayson appeared and closed it shut.

"What are you doing?" I groaned.

"You have to wait until breakfast is ready." He says, his head inclined to the side.

"Yeah, we're making you breakfast, so take a seat." Mitchell added, putting another two slices of bread into the toaster and pushing them down.

Did I miss my birthday or something?

"Why?" I asked.

"Just sit down." Grayson ordered.

Uhh, who the fuck does this guy think he is?

"Breakfast is almost ready." He gave a smile before returning to his station in front of the stove.

I complied, reluctantly, and took a seat at the table, pulling my phone out of my pocket to see if anyone had texted me.

Hannah:
Can you come with me to see Jake today?

Me:
After school?

Hannah:
I was thinking we could skip and maybe just spend the day with him?

You know, to make sure he's okay.

Me:
Okay, you should come over to mine for breakfast, then we can head over to his place.

Hannah:
What's for breakfast?

Me:
Grayson and Mitchell are making scrambled eggs.

Hannah:
In what universe? 🙀

Me:
I know right, I was like wth is going on rn.

Hannah:
Alright, I'm on my way 🏃‍♀️🚪🚗

"Make enough for Hannah." I tell them as I set my phone screen-first on top of the table and rested comfortably into my chair.

"Why is Hannah coming over?" Mitchell asked a valid question.

"We're going to see Jake after breakfast, you know, the guy who was suspended because of your dumb friend."

Mitchell laughed. "Uh, didn't your bestie Jakey start that fight?"

Grayson nodded his head.

"He had just found out that his girlfriend was cheating on him. I would have done the same thing."

"You'd have to actually get a girlfriend first." Grayson laughed, which then caused Mitchell to laugh.

Not to quote Scar from The Lion King, but I'm surrounded by idiots.