41

On Friday after school had ended, my friends and I were hanging out at Phillip's place.

Mind you, it was still very weird between us, but I had nothing better to do.

"She's doing alright." I say, answering Hannah's question about how my mom was doing. "She's tired and sore from all the chemo, but she acts like it doesn't bother her."

"She's definitely going to kick cancer's ass." Jake says, and I hoped it was true.

"I agree." Lucy says. "Your mom is the strongest person I know."

She is. If anyone can get through this, it's her.

"Jake, did you get any alcohol for the party tonight?" Asked Phillip.

They're referring to Grayson's party. The party I didn't want to go to.

"Yes. But none of that beer shit." Says Jake. "I got a bottle of Jack and a bottle of vodka." He reaches into his backpack and pulls out two bottles.

"How'd you even get them?" Hannah wondered.

"My cousin Jude gets them for me, he's kind of a saint." Jake answered.

"The game starts in a few hours, should we pregame?" Lucy suggested.

"That sounds like a great idea." Cody says.

"I agree." Jake added.

Phillip was already on the other side of the room retrieving cups and soda to mix the drinks.

"Shouldn't you be playing?" Hannah asked Jake.

"Oh, yeah nah, I quit the football team. And by quit, I mean that I was kicked off." Jake says.

"What? Why?" Hannah wonders.

"Well, since I was suspended for fighting with another guy on the team, the coach kicked me off." He says.

"I don't think that's allowed." Phillip says.

"Well, okay, he didn't exactly kick me off. He asked me to apologise for fighting, to which I responded and told him to get fucked. I guess coaches don't like that kind of thing."

I laughed, as did everyone else.

"Anyways, it's for the best."

"I can't wait for the game." Lucy says excitedly, sticking to the topic of football.

I didn't know she liked football?

"I thought you hated football?" Hannah wondered.

"It's not so bad." Lucy says, readjusting her bangs.

"Well, I just hope the birthday boy scores the winning touchdown and takes his jersey off." Hannah practically drooled.

"And I hope I get flashed by a cheerleader." Added Jake.

Hannah rolled her eyes. "Gross."

"Says the one who wants see Scott shirtless." Jake retorted.

Wait.

Scott?

As in Grayson Scott?

But she said birthday boy...

Oh my god.

Is it Grayson's Birthday today?

"Whose birthday is it?" I asked for clarification on the matter.

"Grayson's." Hannah answered. "Didn't you already know?"

I shake my head.

"Isn't he best friends with your brother? How did you not know it was his birthday today?" Phillip wondered.