52

I was seated in the passenger side of Cody's car when he had finally found a vacant space in the underground parking lot. As the car came to a halt, I was hesitant to leave it.

"You okay?" Cody asked.

"What if he doesn't remember?" I asked him. "Or, what if he does, and he hates me?"

"Why would he hate you?" Cody wonders.

"Because I'm the reason he's in hospital." I say.

I'm the reason he was hit by a car.

I'm the reason he ended up in a coma.

It is all my fault.

"You know, when I first saw that picture of you and Grayson..." He takes a breath. "I was pissed off. I have never liked Grayson. But, I think he really likes you. Maybe he even loves you. I mean, he did literally jump in front of a speeding car to save you." He puts a hand on my arm. "He won't hate you."

I hope he was right.

"Do you want me to wait?"

"No, that's okay." I say as I take off my seatbelt. "Mitchell said he was still here, I'll get a ride home with him."

"Okay. I'll, uh, talk to you later?"

I open the door and step out before turning back to him. "Talk to you later."

I walk into the hospital, and I'm hella nervous. So much, that I swear that I was shaking.

Why am I so nervous?

I head upstairs to Grayson's room, which was room number 28 in the ICU.

With every step that I took, I could feel my heart racing faster, faster, and faster.

When I arrive in the room, Grayson is surrounded by his mother, his brother and sister, Mitchell and a nurse who was in the middle of explaining something.

"He may be a bit confused. We will also do some tests to determine if there are any other complications." Said the nurse.

"What kind of complications?" Asked Diana.

"Well, he may have some difficulty with speaking, uh, there's a chance he may have memory loss and recognitive issues along with a possibility of lacking motor skills."

"You mean, he may not be able to play football anymore?" Diana wondered.

"I'm sorry, Miss Scott, as of this moment, I cannot tell you without doing some more tests." The nurse placed a comforting hand over Diana's shoulder before exiting the room.

I look over and see that Grayson is looking blankly over towards the window.

"If it's okay with you, I think it's best if only family members are here." Diana says to Mitchell whilst looking over at me.

I throw a glance towards Grayson before dejectedly turning around and walking out. I know when I'm not wanted.

Diana obviously doesn't like me, that much is clear.

Mitchell catches up to me as I reach the elevators and wait for one to open up. "Are you alright?" He asks.

"She's mean." I tell him.

"Yeah, she is. I'm sorry."

"It's fine." I say. "She clearly doesn't want be to see her son, so..."

"Who cares what she wants. She may be his mother, but this isn't about her." Mitchell said with a subtle hint of anger lacing his tone. "This is about you and Grayson."

It's weird hearing that come from him. Surprisingly, he hasn't really been all disgusted by the thought of Grayson and I. Except for when he first found out and ended up in an altercation with Grayson, but, since then, he's been, okay with it?

Maybe he's just pretending to be.

"How is he?" I asked as the elevator opens up. We both head inside and I click the ground floor button.

"Uh, he's a bit out of it right now. He didn't say anything. I don't even think he recognised me. But the nurse says the first stage is that he finally woke up, the rest will follow."

"What if he doesn't remember? And what if he never gets to play football again? That was his dream." I frowned at the thought of it.

I'm the reason he may not get to have his dream fulfilled.

"It's all my fault."

"It's not your fault, Dallas. Grayson will be fine, I'm sure of it." Mitchell assured me, though I'm having a hard time believing him.

I will never forgive myself if Grayson doesn't get better.

"Diana probably won't let us come and see him for awhile." I say, annoyed.

"She can be a bitch sometimes." Mitchell stated. "But she's not always at the hospital."

"What are you saying?" I raised an eyebrow as the elevated stopped on the ground floor.

"I'm saying that we can come back tonight when she's gone." He says.

"Okay." I couldn't help but smile.

8pm that night, Mitchell and I went back to the hospital. Hopefully Diana wouldn't be here, because that would be awkward. We stopped by the gift shop on our way towards Grayson's room. I bought him a 'Get Well Beary Soon' Teddy bear, which I thought was hilarious. It's exactly the kind of gift Grayson would have chosen. Mitchell, on the other hand, bought a get well soon balloon.

When we arrive to his room, he looks over at us, his eyebrows knitting together.

"Hi." I say, awkwardly, frozen in place.

He opens his mouth, but he is having trouble speaking. I look to Mitchell with a concerned look before walking closer to Grayson.

He closes his eyes, takes a deep breath before trying again.

"Who are you?" He asked, his voice raspy and strained.

I felt my heart sink into my chest.

He doesn't remember me.

I could feel tears threatening to well in my eyes, despite trying with all my might to keep them at bay.

I can't believe he forgot about me.

It's all my fault.

I did this to him.

"I'm just kidding." He laughed weakly, causing me to exhale a sigh of relief. "You should have seen your faces, though."

"Bro, that's not cool." Mitchell says with a scoff.

"If you weren't fresh out of a coma, I would punch you so hard." I say, laughing along with him.

I've missed him so much.